Exhaust Leak + backfire - best $40 I ever spent.

Engine troubles? Try here.
Peresh

Exhaust Leak + backfire - best $40 I ever spent.

Post by Peresh »

The backfire was getting nasty ! The liberals in the neighborhood thought I had now really lost it big time and was firing my AR-15 while passing by. "There goes the right-wing extremist nut job" sneered a few as I blasted my way through the town. What can I say, it's been a blast though.

The main exhaust tank has two rather large holes. We welded a steel plate to cover it that and tigged the edge side which was also shot.

Results - no backfire, increased power of the truck tremendously. Guys I'm not kidding, these types of exhaust leaks can really cause problems in power as well! I also tightned up the exhaust manifold nuts going into the cylinders. Found 2 were somewhat loose. Now I'm not sure if it's the nuts that caused the back fire or the holes in the exhaust ?

Regards,
Peresh.
Attachments
weld2.jpg
weld2.jpg (23.94 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
weld1.jpg
weld1.jpg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
undysworld
Norway

Re: Exhaust Leak + backfire - best $40 I ever spent.

Post by undysworld »

Glad to hear you fixed that loud muffler. But why the slams on the left-wingers? They were sneering? Shocking. Didn't the conservatives wonder why you were driving around with the AR too? I thought we had given up on political party digs after Dennis Williams got run off the forum.

Sorry, but as a pretty diehard "liberal", who even voted for the "Kenyan", and who owns a few ARs, plus a few military vehicles, not to mention has pretty much gone to bat for a very right-wing automotive hobby, I'm not sure how to take your comment.

We've each got our own political opinions. No offense intended, but that's not why I log on here. Things just get ugly when folks start slamming other folks' opinions. Better we should concentrate on our common interests.

Back to the topic, I too have seen dramatic changes result from an exhaust leak.
Peresh

Post by Peresh »

Ah no harm ment at all. I'm a right-winger in a whole town hence the humor. I keep them on their toes..they have learned to respect my opinions and beliefs. Again all is well.

Anyways, yes no more blasting through town. Worked out great.
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Hey Peresh, your repair looks nice and will stop the exhaust leak for now...but I highly suggest you start shopping for a new replacement to have in your garage when the exhaust finds its way out of the other weakend areas of the muffler which will undoubtedly happen. The muffler patches are like patches on your favorite old jeans yeah they hide the hole but just temporarily. I am sure there are some nice stainless steel replacements that would go right into the Pinz with some slight modifications..regards Larry
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Peresh,

No worries. As they say, no offense intended, none taken.

Cheers,
Paul
Peresh

Post by Peresh »

Pete,

Any recommendations on a new exhaust system?
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Your neighbors thought that your exhaust was gunfire? Because they know that you are a right wingnut? And you are proud that they think that you have finally lost it and are now shooting? And you think that is funny? What is wrong with you?
Wow. Just wow.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Come on people let it lay, no need to keep going on and on about the political views of any of our members. Peresh I am sure just threw that out there tongue and cheek and had no intentions to start anything by it, so let’s not read into it and make comment on it. The post is about a muffler leak that was fixed, please for everyone’s sake let’s keep it on topic. :D
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

please for everyone’s sake let’s keep it on topic.
Thanks Shawn, I tried to say that earlier. Peresh confirmed my suspicion that it was "tongue in cheek", right away.

This isn't the place for political differences (except WisDOT v. Pinzgauer owners!). They only cause unpleasantness.

I strongly vote we give it all a rest and smile that our trucks all have pleasant exhaust notes. 8)

Next topic please... :wink: