Fuel tank lining red death

Engine troubles? Try here.
blackstack
United States of America

Fuel tank lining red death

Post by blackstack »

I just changed my fuel filter and see some small flecks of the tank lining in the bowl. What is the solution to the red death??
krick3tt

Re: Fuel tank lining red death

Post by krick3tt »

I also found very small bits of red/orange tank lining in my filter and happened to be at MogFest in Calico
at the time. I was told that if they are not the size of a dime that I really did not have to worry...yet.
That was three years ago, have had no further issues. Could have been rust from the Nato cans
I was using to refill my tank. The Nato cans also have the red lining and get chipped around the
spout. It all goes into the tank.
There have been posts about this issue and you may have to go to the locked portion of the site
to get input on this.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Thanks krick3tt !!
I hope I have the same luck !! The pieces were really small...I am going to carry several fuel filters and hope that if I do start having a problem the spare filters will let me get home!!

I know I read a post a while back (that I cant find ) where the poster in effect cut open and completely rebuilt his tank. I am hoping someone has an easier solution. I would like to get the tank as a maintainance problem rather than as recovery from catastrophy !!
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

If you have to reline it. Take it to the powder coater and have them bake the lining out off it. then reline it. really not necessary to cut it open. They charged me $35 for a motor cycle tank. wouldn't think it would be much more for the pinz tank.
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Thanks Undysworld for the link and everyone else who posted . Erik, the baffles would not interfere with the baking off?
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Heat knows no boundries (well in this case anyway), the "baking" process will do the same to every part of the tank.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

My "solution" to the red death issue is to drain the tank twice a year and to always carry a spare fuel filter.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Blackstack, not sure but i think the baffles are aluminum? would just let the coater know they could give you more guidance? I doubt it would melt away.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

The entire tank is steel. I find pulling the drain plug with a bucket under it to remove loose coating. I have pulled pieces as large as 7"x9" out through the drain. Once all the loose flakes are gone, no more issues.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Well when ordeal started I did the same - drain plug out and 5 gallon buckets....pulled huge pieces out etc.....then that didn't work so I had to take the top off that houses the fuel level and I scraped the inside out and thought I had it licked.

Problem is I couldn't get at the baffle area. Then crap started floating in from there and I just got sick of the screwing around with the pieces clogging up the tube.

So I ripped her out - cut holes in her and sand blasted it....NO COATING just got her welded up and pressure tested and she's been running like a charm ever since.

Jer