heater/heat exchanger leaking?

Engine troubles? Try here.
indigoth

heater/heat exchanger leaking?

Post by indigoth »

I need a new muffler. I know. it's bellowing like a wounded buffalo. I'm all over that, but that's not what I'm asking about ... I'm getting exhaust smell in the cab. I'm concerned the heat exchanger is pulling the exhaust fumes in. i can't see how I could actually test to make sure the heat exchanger is intact or not.

any body got any ideas?

Jim
Picasso

Re: heater/heat exchanger leaking?

Post by Picasso »

Take off the heat exchanger plug up one end with a ball and blow some air in the other and see if it holds? Water might be fun to use too.
2X 712AMB Oakland, CA
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

I would suggest as a minimum before taking anything apart, does the smell go away when the hot air input is off? If not then disconnect the hot air tube from the heat exchanger and plug it up as a final test before removing the whole lot and checking.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If the pipes are breached(leaking) you can make a sleeve with a piece of pipe slightly smaller in diameter to fit inside and weld up the ends :wink:
Much cheaper than replacing :D
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
indigoth

Post by indigoth »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:If the pipes are breached(leaking) you can make a sleeve with a piece of pipe slightly smaller in diameter to fit inside and weld up the ends :wink:
Much cheaper than replacing :D

i thought of that. the heater hasn't worked very well over the years I've had it. i've been concerned I'd lose even more heating.