Running without distributor - problem?

Engine troubles? Try here.
spandit

Running without distributor - problem?

Post by spandit »

Since fitting MegaJolt, my distributor is redundant. I had left it in place but have now just removed it to mount the coilpack there - is this likely to cause problems with the oil pump? I've plugged the hole but don't know if there are loose components down there now. What do you EFI guys do?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Running without distributor - problem?

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

You have to remove the distributor drive. Use small flat nosed (expanding type)snap ring pliers to lift it out or you will damage crank gear. Oil pump is gear driven off back of crankshaft.
You would be better off to mount your coil pack to the body(less heat and no vibration).
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks, Jim. I'd thought about mounting it to the body but the only convenient place was right above the exhaust manifolds and I thought there'd be even more heat there. My current HT leads aren't long enough to reach any further, otherwise I'd try to mount it where the old coil is.

Do you have any photos of where you've mounted your coil packs?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
spandit

Post by spandit »

Silence is golden and all that. Had a look at your EFI install pics on the website and have moved my coil pack to roughly the same place.

Have removed the distributor drive/spring and plugged the hole again. Once I get my lathe back up and running I'll do a better job of the plug (waiting for a 3-phase inverter and motor to be delivered this week)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition