torque specs for the exhaust manifold nuts

Engine troubles? Try here.
indigoth

torque specs for the exhaust manifold nuts

Post by indigoth »

I've looked and looked in the manual and i'll be darned if I can find 'em ... anybody know how tight I can turn those things?

indigoth
krick3tt

Re: torque specs for the exhaust manifold nuts

Post by krick3tt »

Don't have the repair manual in front of me but, I think that stuff is in the very back and it might be in metric units.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
indigoth

Post by indigoth »

i can speak metric, so metric units are fine ...

(checks)

sure enough, there are a couple tables with torque specs. they don't specifically talk about the exhaust manifold nuts, but they do have an "all other nuts" section that should cover it.

thanks
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I also am not a mechanic but, my experience with exhaust type nuts is that after a short time they need to be tightened again, especially after they are warm. ..But not too tight or the studs can be stripped from an aluminum head.
Then after driving for some distance tighten them again.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

14-16 ft lbs
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
spandit

Post by spandit »

Must be the season for it - just taken my manifolds off as I've always had a broken stud since I bought the truck which is probably why I've had problems with misfiring (there was only half a gasket left on cylinder #4). Managed to get the stud out to find it was a 10mm one some idiot had jammed in there, probably not realising/noticing that the existing M8 studs screw into Helicoils. I'll order some M8 coils to see if I can rectify the problem, otherwise I'll have to tap for M10 which is a pain. At least they shouldn't leak from there any more (although what to do about the flexible couplings, I don't know - they were mega loose - might look into that proper flexible stuff)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
indigoth

Post by indigoth »

replaced my gaskets yesterday. took longer than I expected, but only because I was fussing over the studs, trying to make 'em all pretty again. with some success, mind you. one gasket was completely gone. the rest were fine.

however.

I did discover one of my flex pipes has a leak/hole in it.