2.7 L

Engine troubles? Try here.
Paul Gudmundson

2.7 L

Post by Paul Gudmundson »

well i am now past the brake in period of jim's 2.7 L kit with cam and i can't be more pleased with the results :D i find i don't down shift into 4th much at all and my foot is not always to the floor. sure its not huge hp gain but in my opinon its how the pinz engine should have come from the factory.living in a mountain area the extra hp gain is well worth the price and jim was very helpful with any questions i'd had and tips with the install. i also installed a mgl guage that i would recommend to anyone that wants to protect there investment well worth the 300$ for the gauge and 300$ for the sensors because with out it i would have cooked the new 2.7 l kit. the truck was running great but #4 cyl was running at 475 deg thats 100 deg hotter then it is now. the problem was the intake manifold bases where they meet the cylinders were not perfectly true had a slight rocking motion when put on a flat piece of glass so had to sand flat. i went through 3 sets of intake and exhaust manifold gaskets taking apart and putting back together to find that problem :roll: but now i shouldn't have to worry about it for many years.
thank you again jim for all your help :D
Winter Beater

Re: 2.7 L

Post by Winter Beater »

I too have Jim's 2.7L + cam and passed the 1000 mile break in just before coming here to Ourey for the 12th RMP Treffen. Very happy with the results - it's not a speedster but has a little more pull and I shift a lot less.

Thanks Jim.

Now I need to research a mgl gauge (???)
SolarImages

Post by SolarImages »

So how much did this upgrade cost? Sounds like you guys removed the parts and shipped them to JIm? More info please. Now that i have sold one of my Pinz. I am itching to spend some quality time with my last one :) thanks
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, holy
#$%^...what a ride!
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

Jim requires the jugs and cam be sent to him. He will then have the machining done, install rings on pistons and push pistons into jugs so it is easy to install in your garage. Others have sent him the entire engine -he rebuilds all and returns it in a crate.

Parts apprx, $1800. Gaskets & misc stuff is extra. Jim will give you a list of required gaskets, you may add to the list since you're into the guts of the motor already. (carb rebuild, fuel pump, shroud seals, vacuum hose, fan belt, etc)

I strongly recommend true-ing carb surfaces and rebuilding them to get the most out of the 2.7L

Have fun.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Really should have gone that route. Even would have enjoyed the drive to SoCal to visit family while it was all going on.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
SolarImages

Post by SolarImages »

[quote][/quote]Thanks for the info going to definitely do the carbs as the gaskets seep a little thinking I need to do the heads As well. I have a bit of smoke when I first start her up.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, holy
#$%^...what a ride!
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

SolarImages wrote: thinking I need to do the heads As well. I have a bit of smoke when I first start her up.
Some smoke on start up is not uncommon. http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... 446#p46446
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.