Hard starting after sitting

Engine troubles? Try here.
NoahDL88

Hard starting after sitting

Post by NoahDL88 »

71 710K, Civ Ignition.

starts just fine if its only been sitting a few days, but if it sits a week or more it cranks strongly for a while, maybe 10 runs at 6 seconds a pop, not even a chuff and then it fires right up.

I'm leaning towards either float bowls leaking down or the fuel pump not holding and having the fuel in the bowls syphon down back into the tank.

I'd like to avoid using starting fluid as long term use is bad, but I don't like cranking the starter that long.

I tried to search but couldn't hit the parameters that would turn up a useful result.

Thanks
1972 710K
ccalingaert

Re: Hard starting after sitting

Post by ccalingaert »

Old fuel hoses are a likely culprit. Don't forget to check the hose to the BN4 heater as well.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6525&p=45766&hilit=hoses#p45766
Chris
'74 710K
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Also check the seal rings on the carb fuel inlet bayonet fittings. There should be 2 seal rings per fitting and they should be aluminum though soft copper will also work I've heard.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

Fantastic, Thanks!

I recently picked this rig up from Westernair, and he is a bit of a fanatic about maintenence, so I'm pretty sure the hoses are new-ish. I'll start there though and work my way up to a fuel pump rebuild.
1972 710K
landy

Post by landy »

Sounds like it might need a fuel pump rebuild. Easy to do. Rebuild kits are available from one of the forum sponsors such as EI.