Rebuilding or buying a rebuilt motor

Engine troubles? Try here.
Jerbearyukon

Rebuilding or buying a rebuilt motor

Post by Jerbearyukon »

I am just thinking out loud. Do you think it's worth....pulling the engine and sending it out to get it REBUILT. I have a few minor oil leaks and am thinking I will just keep the pinz and take it with me to Costa Rica.

If I was to do that I would want to get the motor running the best it could be....and I think that is to get it rebuilt. Only 87,000kms on her but I know it's just never run as good as it could. There is nobody up here that I could trust to do this properly.

Anyone ever done this or know what that would cost and how long it would take...and who could do it.

We have one fella in Canada...Karl Portman, but he is in Quebec.

Anyway thanks for any input.

Jer
Stekay
United States of America

Re: Rebuilding or buying a rebuilt motor

Post by Stekay »

Dennis at Linden Engineering is right on your way, and Jim Laguardia at Goatwerks is just a beautiful drive down the California coast. Either of them would seem to be a dream choice for a rebuild.
'76 710K
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

I bought Jim's 2.7L kit and cam. Did it in the garage over the winter. Jim was great at walking me through any obstacles. I think I used about 2 months; this includes some core shipping time and I only worked weekends due to a full time job.

Some of the core downtime was well spent over hauling and truing the carbs. My 712 has been able to pull away from a couple 710's uphill on pavement.
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

almost forgot about part B of your question.

Cost is up to you since you have most of the guts torn out you can do any one of, or a combo of: pistons, cams, clutch, fuel pump, various gaskets/hoses, carbs or EFI.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

thanks