Muffler Development - Not far off

Engine troubles? Try here.
BobbyD
United States of America

Re: Muffler Development - Not far off

Post by BobbyD »

Received mine.
Stainless steel is really pretty. I was worried it would detract from from the Pinz's inherent beauty.
Six 41 year old bolts between the heat exchanger and the muffler... Sheared all of them off with an air wrench. Had to cut out the middle two. Removed rust and patched the holes on the heat exchanger.
Bolted it all together, installed it and started the beast. It has a different sound. Of course, it would since it is missing the three large rust holes and caved in rear wall. It is a good sound. More important, it runs much better.
The stainless gets a little less silver with a couple of drives. But, be careful, that tailpipe gets boiling hot after a drive. The kids now exit on the starboard side just to be safe.
Attachments
New_improved_better.JPG
New_improved_better.JPG (42.55 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
Original
Original
Original.JPG (63.22 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Just received a windfall of sorts, so I just purchased one from EI....along with some shocks.... :mrgreen:

Would it hurt to paint the muffler black with high heat paint?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

berger wrote:Would it hurt to paint the muffler black with high heat paint?

No problem use VHT paint and touch-up when needed.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

edzz wrote:
berger wrote:Would it hurt to paint the muffler black with high heat paint?

No problem use VHT paint and touch-up when needed.
With the muffler off it's also a great time to repaint the heat shield above the muffler and check for any oil leaks from the locker switch cover that's in the center tube behind the muffler.

Have fun!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Also when mounting the muffler insure that you have clearance between the muffler and the heat shield. When the PO of my truck installed a new muffler he mounted it so high that it heated the foot well of my K to the point you would not want to be bare foot in the back, even with shoes your feet would be uncomfortable. Once I lowered it about an inch its much better.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Thanks guys!

I think I have a leak up there..... :(

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
oilcan
United States of America

Post by oilcan »

Thinking about installing either one of these or OEM... thoughts either way? if they are materially the same (difference seems to be the sound) i'd rather go with the aftermarket and spare the pennies for something else on the pinz...

Also - never done a muffler but have been doing good amount of reading on it - is it as easy as it seems? anything other than exhaust cement and basic tools required?

thanks
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Oilcan,

Welcome to the flock.
oilcan wrote:Thinking about installing either one of these or OEM... thoughts either way? if they are materially the same (difference seems to be the sound) i'd rather go with the aftermarket and spare the pennies for something else on the pinz...
What more thoughts were you looking for? This thread seemed to cover most issues: steel v. stainless steel, lower tone than orig., potentially higher power output than orig., paintable, good fit. Equally telling, nobody's bitching about them!

Other than that, doesn't it simply come down to price and one's personal value of "original"?

From the date of this thread, and Scott's comments about a 20 piece production run, you might want to scurry if you want this one.
oilcan
United States of America

Post by oilcan »

All fair points. I see that EI and Swiss army trucks both carry an aftermarket 'euro' muffler. Are those the same as the ones referred to here?

I was looking for thoughts on the install and any pointers on the process.

Thanks
oilcan
United States of America

Post by oilcan »

Also - I know the ones referred to here are from Scott at EI - are they same as what they are currently selling, or are the new after markets different. Thanks again
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

From the pic of the new muffler it looks as though the pipe can be eliminated and a rerouted pipe installed to be higher and not be prone to be in the water on stream crossings. Correct?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I have one of each (SAV and EI) and prefer the EI unit. It has a nicer sound to me. Remember to get a new exhaust flange gasket if it's not included. I think new bolts are included. Relatively easy to install with just various wrenches and/or sockets. No exhaust cement needed but a couple of beers afterward are nice :)
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Does anyone know how hot the heat exchanger and muffler get? One could powder coat them when new if the temp doesn't get too high during normal usage.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

A few years ago I bought a 710 that had had the heat exchanger get so hot it melted the aluminum fins inside it and some had pooled into a solid mass at the bottom. I did get the Pinz running nicely after a while but there was no saving the heat exchanger.
IMG_2100.jpg
IMG_2100.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
Probably not the norm :wink:
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

To check the usual running temp an infrared thermometer works well. I use one for checking the health of a catalytic convertor by comparing the temp of the exhaust pipe going in and the pipe coming out. Does it great without toasting your fingers. Measurements are amazingly accurate from a couple of feet away.

As for powder coat, I don't know enough to comment. Flat black high heat paint has always been great on motorcycle exhausts, even close to the cylinder. My stainless looked old enough to suit the vehicle after a good mud wallow and trail run.

Clive