Another weird idle problem

Engine troubles? Try here.
spandit

Another weird idle problem

Post by spandit »

Took this short video of my truck idling today:

http://youtu.be/tOAK3mCBlNQ

It's not pretty, but it is running without me feathering the gas pedal.

I then took the top cover off and attempted to balance the carbs with one of those air meter tool things:

However, when I placed it over the top of the carb, the engine started accelerating. This happened on both carbs and it took the needle off the top of the scale so made it impossible to make any adjustments.

My guess would be that it was running too lean and that restricting the airflow would richen it up enough to start racing like that (I hadn't wound the throttle stops all the way out because I just couldn't get it to idle like that...)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
M Wehrman
United States of America

Re: Another weird idle problem

Post by M Wehrman »

Loose-cracked intake manifolds? Under the tin,shoot some carb spray and look for idle changes. Are the carbs tight between t-plates and body?
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Sorry,didn't look at vid,still ck for vac leak,or maybe it is simply that the mix screws are too far in!
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
spandit

Post by spandit »

I'll tighten everything up (and might make some more gaskets for the bit between the carb top and the throttle body). Mixture screws have been the bane of my life - replaced them all as had broken all the old ones but in doing so, had broken through the carb wall. Glued up with JB Weld but difficult to tell how accurate the metering is now. Roll on EFI!!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Spandit, you have to start out with proper tooling or you will never diagnose it. Your syncro meter looks too small and if so, cannot flow the volume of air needed.(meters measure and do not restrict flow in the process)
As I have posted before, good carbs balance between 6-10 Kg/h on a healthy engine. If you are not in that window you have leaks, worn parts. One other item you seem to have overlooked is the throttle shafts. If they are brass, I would suspect twisted/worn shafts(can cause unstable idle). Brass ones can be replaced with new steel ones as long as the throttle body shaft bores are not worn out.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
spandit

Post by spandit »

I'll borrow a bigger one! Throttle shafts all move freely & look like they seal properly when closed
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Robin,

I believe that what Jim's referred to there is wear between the throttle shafts and the throttle base itself. Although the butterflies may be properly aligned and close properly, you may have air leaking into the engine around the throttle shafts, if things are worn. When the butterflies are fully closed, this worn shaft/base will allow air to slip around the throttle shafts, thus leaning things out too much.

Early throttle shafts were brass and they can wear to the point where they are too small for the bores they move in. Newer shafts are steel, so the base itself probably wears faster.
spandit

Post by spandit »

I'm not convinced my throttle shafts are worn but I'll have a look. They're steel shafts. It's a moot point anyway as I'll be installing EFI soon :)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition