Update Piston #3 and #4 burnt

Engine troubles? Try here.
westernair
United States of America

Update Piston #3 and #4 burnt

Post by westernair »

I just returned from a 800 mile trip to Idaho, as I stated in a previous post my truck for the last few months has been blowing white smoke occationally when under load. I did check the break booster for leaks, the compression and did a leak down in an attempt to figure it out, all were fine.

Durring this trip it did have a few episodes but then in the last 100 miles the truck lost power and began blowing smoke continuiously. Well I had 12 boys in the back of the truck and had to get them home so I limped her back by adding oil to the case every 25 miles. Anyway today I opened her up and found that cyclinder #3 was galded and the piston had broken rings and was chewed up (update also #4).

Also the the entire right side of the motor just behind the fuel pump is soaked in oil, I pulled the fuel pump and found the rear plate over the spring was loose so I am hoping that was the oil problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Could this be the dreaded cam plug issue that Jim talks about. Is there a way to check for this without removing the transmission?
Any ideas at all are apreciated.
Lastly I removed the circlip question as it was an easy fix

Thanks
Last edited by westernair on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
edzz
United States of America

Re: Piston circlip removal, trick to it? Also oil leak from

Post by edzz »

Sorry to hear about the problems. The pictures on the link of the 710k restoration may help, from what I can see it’s a simple spring clip; I couldn’t find any good pictures of the piston removal during the disassembly phase. Hopefully someone with firsthand knowledge will post soon. Looks like you need to slip a scribe (or such) under the circlip and pry it out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1072633330 ... 0384085442
https://picasaweb.google.com/1072633330 ... 3430133954
The pictures before and after these may help too.

Hope you all had fun in Idaho, I know I’m enjoying it here.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Ed, I was in your neck of the woods, I was on the lake at Camp Easton. I90 to exit 22, then 10 miles to the camp. You live in an amazing place. I did stop by Michael's house on the trip to look at a Haflinger, should have looked you up as well.
Anyway I was not using a sharp enough point to get uinder the clip from the slot. I was able to get them out once switching.

Now that I have the piston out and know I have to repace it, I was thinking that I should take the heads in to my machine shop to have them inspected and to get a fresh 3 angle valve grind.
Should I also consider replacing the rings on the other three pistons?
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

If it were me I’d probably at least pull the other pistons for inspection and to clean the groves, may not be necessary however having it apart as far as you do it’s not that much more work and just a few more gaskets.

Yes you did drive within a few miles of me, I’m a couple of miles south of the river kind of between exits 5 and 12, and this is my view of I-90 from the front yard.
Attachments
a2m.jpg
a2m.jpg (70.48 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
westernair
United States of America

Re: Piston #3 burnt

Post by westernair »

Droped the heads and jugs off at the machine shop. He indicated I should atleast replace the rings on all of the pistons and remomended I bring them all in for a inspection. So what do others think, should I replace all the rings, since I am into it this far, and should I bring them into be inspected?
If my #3 cylinder is bad and I have to replace the rings would having them just bore the them out to 92.5 or 93 and then purchasing a new set of pistons be a good option?
Thanks in advance.
Also any insite on the leaking from the passanger side of the motor would be appreciated. I am actually trying to get this thing road worth for next weekends Mogfest.
Shawn
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
westernair
United States of America

Re: Update Piston #3 and #4 burnt

Post by westernair »

Pulled all the rest of the pistons tonight, sure enough in the dark last night I missed that #4 has broken rings as well.
Any suggestions on other things to check and or ideas of what caused this? Is their away I can determine if the lifters and cam are still good without pulling the motor and cracking open the block?
Again thanks in advance for any and all ideas, suggestions or??? you can offer.
Shawn
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

Dang, how many people on this forum have a Ural motorcycle? I guess the kind of person who has an attraction to one is also attracted to the Pinz as well. I have a 2000 Ural solo.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

CentAr712 wrote: I guess the kind of person who has an attraction to one is also attracted to the Pinz as well. I have a 2000 Ural solo.
Nice! It is almost the same addiction!! :lol:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I've been passively shopping for an ural myself. Gotta finish my 841 Indian first.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I looked at a few newer model Urals year before last and they really have come a long way since 2000 as far as quality control goes. Mine was somewhat disappointing as far as QC, but it's still a machine that's easy to love.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I guess the kind of person who has an attraction to one is also attracted to the Pinz as well.
Astute observation. I don't know if you guys are already aware of it or not, but curiously Dennis Williams from Linden Engineering is a Ural dealer in addition to his Pinzgauer repair work.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

CentAr712 wrote:I looked at a few newer model Urals year before last and they really have come a long way since 2000 as far as quality control goes. Mine was somewhat disappointing as far as QC, but it's still a machine that's easy to love.
Definitely come a LONG way. Mine took me across the US and back through Canada last September. Great way to travel!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

OK I will be doing the reassembly starting tonight, I have a couple of quick questions.
1. I see the pistons are off-set on the pin's, which way do I install them?
2. When I put the cylinders back on what is the paste type material that seals them to the block? Is this something I can find readly?
Lastly I do not have my manual in front of me but I assume it has the tork numbers in it for both the cylinders and the heads correct?
Thanks in advance and wish me luck!
Shawn
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

One more thing. I fogot to order an oil pan gasket, but was thinking it would be a good idea to drop it considering what happend to the motor.
Should I order one, but run the engine once together and replace once it arrives, pull the pan and use RTV, or should I just wait to run the motor until I get the part?
Thanks in advance again!
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Hey SHawn - I sent you a PM. I have a oil pan gasket and can drop it off tomorrow on my way down to NWMogFest - are you going?

Let me know - Christopher
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com