Smoking Oil Filler Breather

Engine troubles? Try here.
westernair
United States of America

Re: Smoking Oil Filler Breather

Post by westernair »

Time for new rings and a valve job... plan on two weekends to do the work, one to strip it down, a week for the heads at the machine shop and the secound weekend to put it back together.
as long as you have basic tools and a tork wrench you will have no problems.
Sorry to hear about the condition of the motor, but I am sure you can successfully make the repairs.
Good luck
Shawn
Oh and you are going to love the new found performance the engine has once complete!
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Time for new rings and a valve job... plan on two weekends to do the work, one to strip it down, a week for the heads at the machine shop and the secound weekend to put it back together.
No need to pull the engine out of the truck, just dissasemble the jugs and leave the rest of the engine in place.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

I removed the head on my old Rover, so hopefully the Pinz isn't any more difficult. And I have the service manual to guide me. I have a good machine shop in town for the head work. As long as I am taking things apart, any recommendations on other things to replace while I'm in there?
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

Incidentally, the motor only has 38,000 km on it and I don't treat it roughly. Is this a normal interval for rings/valves for these motors?
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

JR,
One of the things I learned early about pinzgauers is that the odometer and the vehicle have no real connection.
The speedo may have been replaced, the engine may be from another vehicle, or any of several variations may have happened.
Don't rely on the milage and the vehicle being in sync.

Happy trails
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

Removed the heads without any trouble, but can't seem to get the lifter housings out. They only slide out about 1/2". And I can't access the cylinder bolts with them in the way. Also, will a thin wall socket be able to get in to remove the cylinder bolts or is there a special tool? I don't want to invest in thin wall sockets if there is a special tool fort he job.
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

EI used to have a deal where they loaned tools for specialized jobs. Not sure if that is still in place. It really
helped me when I had my Mog.
But with the deposit and the time to get things to you and the return time it may be better to get the
tool, maybe even for future work. The investment may be worth it as you are saving a ton by doing the work
yourself.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

Discovered that the secret to cylinder removal is application of adequate force with a hammer. All cylinders removed, and the rings on piston three and four were shot. Bores on those cylinders are scored as well. All the bits are on their way to the machine shop.
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

How did everything turn out? I'm about to take on the same thing
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)