Checking the oil

Engine troubles? Try here.
berger
Canada

Checking the oil

Post by berger »

Hey Guys.

Quick question on checking the oil. Is it fair to say the only time you can accurately gauge oil level on the dip stick is after the truck has sat for some time and you pull the stick? I have discovered that re-inserting the stick to double check is a complete waste of time. :?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
krick3tt

Re: Checking the oil

Post by krick3tt »

I check mine cold in the AM before starting out..Flat surface helps.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

krick3tt wrote:I check mine cold in the AM before starting out..Flat surface helps.
Ya, that is my new procedure!

Do you need to add oil from time to time?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Sure I add oil from time to time. All that smoke comes from somewhere. Especially after a long trip. Although, as a positive, it burns more gas than oil.

edit: I also check the way RC has suggested. When going to the store for parts or something. The time spent in the store gives it time to settle so I can use the cold and warm engine for comparison.
Last edited by krick3tt on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

You should have a warm engine on level ground when you check it. Not from cold to get an accurate idea. Basically fire it up and let it get warm then shut it off and let it sit a few minutes and then check it. When it's cold and you check it just tells you how much oil has drained completely back into the pan and not what is being circulated through the engine when running. You will burn oil and have to top-up even on a fresh well tuned engine. It's 40yr old air-cooled design. You just don't want to leak oil.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

When I change my oil, I have a hard time seeing the clean oil level on the dip stick.
Jim LaGuardia at Goatwerks, gave me this tip: rub a piece of carbon paper on the dry dip stick to blacken it, and then check the oil level.
Works like a charm! (Lifetime supply of carbon paper -100 sheets at Staples for $15.00)
Thanks, Jim!
Ed
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

You will burn oil and have to top-up even on a fresh well tuned engine.
Engines always burn oil, but the question is: How much and how fast does it burn oil?

Before Jim L. rebuilt the engine in my 712W I added a quart every 3-400 miles (at least every second tankful). Now, I might add a quart every 1500-2500 miles since the rebuild.

On the other hand, our 710M has an engine stock from the Swiss service and I might add one quart between yearly oil changes -- it just doesn't burn any oil to speak of, in all of the almost 9 years we've had it. Sounds unbelievable, but it is true. On the other hand, we've probably put only 30,000 miles on it in 9 years, or an average of 3300 miles per year.
Jim M.
712W and 710M