Engine Reassembly

Engine troubles? Try here.
jrcotner
United States of America

Engine Reassembly

Post by jrcotner »

I'm getting ready to reassembly my engine and found numerous references to Permatex Aviation Sealer #2. However, Permatex only shows various #3 aviation sealers, and the physical description (dark reddish brown) doesn't match the photos in the forum. I called Permatex and got no answer. Are the Permatex #3 aviation sealants (there are three different types) the same as the #2 listed on the forum? If so, is one #3 variant better than another?
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
westernair
United States of America

Re: Engine Reassembly

Post by westernair »

I use the copper high temp sealer when putting a pinz motor back together. Just on the barrels to the block and the heads to the barrels. Everything else gets a proper gasket.
Well I do also use indian shellac on one side of the valve cover gaskets.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

All of the other posts mentioned using the Permatex aviation sealant, so that was the direction I was headed. What is the set-up time for the copper sealant?
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

When I did the 2.7L rebuild Jim L. sent some Permatex anaerobic gasket maker. It is red and works well on rear housing and jugs to block; I was under the impression that the head to jug surface was 'gasket-less' and was a lapped surface.

The sealant is available at NAPA for $15.00 product code is 765-1189