710 M- Engine work

Engine troubles? Try here.
Carawagon

710 M- Engine work

Post by Carawagon »

I am going to work with my mechanic buddy to dig into the engine rebuild for my 710 Pinz.

It had a deep water adventure while the motor was hot/running and it looks like it slipped a sleeve.

Any advice on where to start or go?

Try to resleeve?

Buy a new cylinder and piston?

Upgrade to a 2.7 kit?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: 710 M- Engine work

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

There are no "sleeves". Most likely bent a rod, I suggest pulling the heads before pulling off the cylinders. Rods must be same weight class, improper rod match may eject from case at road speed(big hole in block) or cause vibration. Engine must be completely removed and case split to access rods. If you do not have a manual, get one as you will need it.
Also please put your location in your profile.

Step 1 teardown for inspection
Step 2 make parts list
Step 3 open wallet :cry:

P.S. plan on rebuilding the carbs , especially if it has been sitting long.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
bonefish635
Great Britain

Post by bonefish635 »

P.S. plan on rebuilding the carbs , especially if it has been sitting long.
+1 on that. Just had that done and it has transformed running and starting. Best valur for money work done in my time owning it. It feels like every time you turn the key the engine's just been HOPING you'd turn it so it can show off how easily it catches.

Tony
1973 710K
2001 Landcruiser Amazon
2007 Range Rover Vogue (sold)
2001 Nissan Patrol GR 3.0TD (sold)
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Step 4 send motor to Jim LaGuardia for reconditioning or 2.7 upgrade. :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

bonefish635 wrote: +1 on that. Just had that done and it has transformed running and starting. Best valur for money work done in my time owning it. It feels like every time you turn the key the engine's just been HOPING you'd turn it so it can show off how easily it catches.
Tony
What all constitutes a carb rebuild?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

For parts, complete kits with float valves, accelerator pumps,throttle shaft seals (for those bases that use them)and base mounting gaskets.
I cannot tell you how many times over the years someone has said they had rebuilt carbs and I find worn out pump bores(requires new carb body), rotted pumps or old float valves in them.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:For parts, complete kits with float valves, accelerator pumps,throttle shaft seals (for those bases that use them)and base mounting gaskets.
I cannot tell you how many times over the years someone has said they had rebuilt carbs and I find worn out pump bores(requires new carb body), rotted pumps or old float valves in them.
Thanks Jim.

Does EI or SAV sell a complete rebuild kit?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

don't forget to replace the end seals for the throttle plate shaft. They don't come in the kit ... sold separately, batteries not included
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Both EI and SAV have carb rebuild kits available. I think what Jim L. meant was that in order to complete the kits you also need to order accelerator pumps and float valves which are sold separately. You may also need the throttle shaft seals as Winter Beater and Jim said.

I've never had much luck/skill at carb rebuilds so I send mine to Jim. They come back perfect every time :D Thanks Jim!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

pcolette wrote:Both EI and SAV have carb rebuild kits available. I think what Jim L. meant was that in order to complete the kits you also need to order accelerator pumps and float valves which are sold separately. You may also need the throttle shaft seals as Winter Beater and Jim said.

I've never had much luck/skill at carb rebuilds so I send mine to Jim. They come back perfect every time :D Thanks Jim!
That is a good idea too....Thanks!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

And there are two types of carbs: Those with the idle mixture screws that are "sunken" into the side of the throttle plate, and those that have "large" mixture screws that have a head that is outside the throttle plate. Be sure to order the correct carb kit.
Jim M.
712W and 710M