Water repelling sleeve for distributor?

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

Water repelling sleeve for distributor?

Post by audiocontr »

So i have a very temperamental distributor when it comes to splashing water. Running through a large puddle, ankle high, splashes up enough water to render my distributor non-op on the next start. I tear down and WD40 fixes it until the next puddle.

I assume that the vent hose is operational as it tends to draw in quite a bit of the splashed H20. I wonder if a simple splash guard, shielding the front of the distributor would solve the issue? I further imagined a canvas sleeve that I could drape over the distributor and wiring. It needs to be loose enough to ventilate, but water resistant enough to repel the splashed water.

See any issues with a canvas sleeve slipped over the wires and distributor post? Would the distributor over heat?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Water repelling sleeve for distributor?

Post by Jimm391730 »

The vacuum line is supposed to have a tiny orifice so that just a tiny amount of air is drawn off. If your system is missing this orifice then you will get excessive outflow of air which will require an excessive inflow of wet air in wet conditions.

The distributor has small vents in the underside, you might want to shield them instead of shielding the top of the cap. You also want to ensure that the cap is sealed to prevent water ingress between the cap and dizzy. There should be no place where water can enter through the cap (assuming no cracks) so water either is getting in at the seam between the cap and distributor or though the vents, so covering the top of the cap/wires should not have much of an effect -- better to shield the bottom area.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Interesting. I recall that small restriction in my others pinz which is not in the elbow of the current. Has anyone come up with a substitute or replacement?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

You might be best off without ANY vacuum draw off the dizzy (just like most vehicles) rather than allow a large volume of wet air to be drawn into it. Just cap or plug the line at both ends.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

Just get rid of the vacuum system on the distributor and close up all the holes left. The theory behind the system was to remove all corrosive gasses that form under the high currents inside the distributor. God knows why they installed it on the swiss army Pinzgauers since 75% of all Pinzgauers do not have it and run just fine.

All of mine do not have it anymore. No problems with water yet even during deep water crossings with he distributor completely submerged.

Richard