EI and/or Jim L - Thoughts to a carb swap program?

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

EI and/or Jim L - Thoughts to a carb swap program?

Post by audiocontr »

Gents,

I need a carb rebuild, but also need to mitigate downtime. Have you ever given thought to a rebuilt swap scenario/core deposit? I'd happily pay the full price for rebuilt swapped carbs with the understanding that I would receive the appropriate core charge refund after my original carbs are sent back and thoroughly inspected. I also understand, and accept, the worst case scenario of no refund if the carbs are complete junk.

I could swap the carbs in one afternoon this way, and have basically no downtime.

has it been tried in the past? Horror stories?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
undysworld
Norway

Re: EI and/or Jim L - Thoughts to a carb swap program?

Post by undysworld »

Given the wide variety of parts that might need replacement, I'd think it would be pretty hard to set a price. It would almost need to be high enough to cover things like new throttle bodies ($185@), etc. in addition to the normal rebuild parts, then refund the amount not needed. Maybe I'm wrong and they already do this. But I'd guess the variables would prevent it.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Total cost would be total cost regardless of swap or having mine rebuilt. I'd expect to pay top dollar until the original carbs are spec'd and priced. I'd like the delta back to me is all, plus i get to minimize downtime.

I'm thinking of a scenario where i pay $1500 at the first transaction. I swap and send mine out. Jim tells me after appraisal, it will cost $900 to repair the set i sent out, so he refunds $600 (excluding shipping and stuff). If the carbs i send cannot be rebuilt, im out the $1500, etc, etc. Jim rebuilds my carbs and sends them off to the next customer and the process starts again.

I guess the overhead makes it not worth it. Maybe i'm better off buying a set of carbs as is and sending for a rebuild. I'd sell my spare for the next guy.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

That last senario is probably the most likely as there is not a 'massive' demand so these guys would be taking on the overhead.
If you do the same thing but you take it on (costs) and then try to sell rebuilt set - that seems the most likely
I think it is a great idea but not sure either want to take that on - perhaps as a one off?
Then again - why am I speculating, I am sure Scott or Jim will answer your question! :)
Cheers,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I think the second scenario should work for you. Seems with the number of EFI systems that have been put on that there is an abundance of carbs available. Since those with EFI tout how great they are they should have no need for their carbs. Maybe contact one of them, work out a price, have them ship straight to Jim, Jim rebuilds and sends on to you. A little heavy on the logistics but should be able to make happen.
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Hi Guys,

Even after a professional rebuild there are variances among carbs and quality differences. You have a number of additional variables:

Inset idle mixture screws versus large idle mixture screws
Idle Adjustment Arm styles, etc.

How are you going to feel when you send in your beautifully coated light yellow carbs and you get back a dark grey slightly weathered carb body. If I'm the guy that sent in the poorly plated carb and get back the nice one, I'm a happy camper. On the flip, not so pleased.

Then you have the fact that a majority of the carbs that are being sent in are usually needing major overhaul. I would say it is most common for us to receive carbs that someone has already attempted to rebuild and failed. This usually means there can be a huge variation in costs.

Then you have the simple logistics. I charge you $1500 (as your example.) I pay about 3% Credit Card processing. I then am refunding $600, of which I do NOT get that credit card processing back.

The only true way to actually do it successfully would be to run a true Refurbishment process where all of the castings are stripped, ultrasonic, dipped, and then re-coated/anodized. The quality of whatever carb was sent in comes out close to new......Holly use to have a service that was like this. You send in the carb and every part/piece is redone, replated, and what comes out of the box looks brand new. With that level of refurbishment the above problems go out the window. It all comes at a price.......

Price, Price, Price.......

With all of the above, periodically we do exchanges. We need to know you and have a level of trust....and we simply have to have them on the shelf.

For most people, choosing a time where the truck can be down for a week or two isn't usually a problem.

Finally for those interested in some funny in regards to Zenith carbs you might be interested in this thread I just opened: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/ ... uzzle.html

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."