No Clutch

Engine troubles? Try here.
Nomad

Re: No Clutch

Post by Nomad »

I personally don't feel I "beat" on my truck. Do I drive it hard, yes. But drive it hard to me simply means going fast, deep fording, using 4wd, the lockers and taking advantage of the ground clearance. I honestly feel driving it down the HWY at 50-55mph is harder on it than any off-roading. If nothing else it wears the tires down fast! Like everyone, I have an investment in the truck. I am not wealthy so I have no interest in beating up my investment. If I beat it up it is worth less money, plain and simple. I also don't plan to own my Pinz long term. I bought it because it was a great price, a super fun truck and I was without a 4wd toy due to being part way through a build of my long term 4wd. I am using it and fixing everything I find wrong with it while I own the truck. To me, this is all simply, normal.

Cheers
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Yes, driving a Pinzgauer on a paved highway at 65mph for long periods is in my opinion "beating on it." It was not designed to do that either.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Some prefer not to beat their vehicles to death. That said, they are made to be roughly used.
To each his own.
Nomad wrote:I personally don't feel I "beat" on my truck.
Nomad,

While there's some discrepancy as to what constitutes "beating", I'd think you could understand how some folks have arrived at the impression that you "beat" on your truck. You've made it a point to write repeatedly of your hi-speed off-road adventures:
I bombed down some gravel roads at 50mph and the truck just loved it.
Again, lot's of fairly high speed stuff, 40-50mph on stuff I can't go over 25mph in a normal truck.
We ran some gravel/dirt roads in the truck late at night at high speed, high speed being 50mph.
The first two weekends I had the truck I ran it hard, real hard. All I did was check the engine oil before hand! Kind of dumb I know
A few weekends ago we could feel the shocks fading while doing our little high speed stuff.
Years ago I did some playing in some deep water and mud. Got stuck badly.
Consider that the Operating Instructions for "cross country ride" are to "engage gear shift lever for reduction gear" (p. 88). The manual further adds "from rough terrain on to the road" "change gear change lever of the transfer gearbox to road driving position" (p. 98)

Now, on my 712, I can't even reach 50mph unless I'm in the High gear in the transfer case. How you manage to attain such speeds, while operating your truck according to manufacturer's design, is frankly beyond me. High-speed they ain't.

But to quote Morris again:
To each his own
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Have you ever noticed that some people just don't even realize that they are beating on things? It's just normal for them to "push hard" on all things mechanical rather than slowing down and using more finesse.... like they are always "testing" the limits of mechanical things?
They were the kid in the neighborhood that seemed to always have nothing but broken toys. We all knew THAT kid growing up didn't we?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Ah, I hope I'm not coming off too hard on Nomad. Lots of us have beat on our truck from time to time, but we generally fix the damage, learn a lesson, and don't say much more about it. I broke plenty of toys too.

It's just that if he posts numerous posts regaling us with his hard driving, it's inevitable that someone will consider that "beating" and comment. These are, after all, 30+ year old vehicles, and lots of people treat them tenderly.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Seems like a dead horse at this point and if you would rather not hear about what I am doing with my Pinz, I can easily not share or attempt to participate in discussions. It is actually easier for me to not post at all here and instead be a lurker who only comes here to get information. Honestly, since you seem to want to nit pick and poke and point, I am not all that surprised the forum is not highly active. I have read a lot on the forum in the last 2-4 weeks, re-visting information regarding these trucks since I had been away from a Pinz for nearly 10yrs. There is a lot of snide remarks on the forum and a lot of....use the search function, people get real sick of repeating themselves. Blah blah blah. So, a new guy like me to this group can quickly get turned off by the our way is the best way attitude. There is lot's of ways to have a discussion and plenty of words to pick in that discussion. Be snide and close minded and your small group will stay small.

BTW, I got the front wheels off the ground yesterday, beating the hell out of my truck. :roll:

Cheers
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Twin Pinzies wrote: the kid in the neighborhood that seemed to always have nothing but broken toys. We all knew THAT kid growing up didn't we?
Sounds like my wife and daughter. Why they don't get to play with my toys. :) Things don't last very long in their control.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Nomad wrote:Seems like a dead horse at this point
What, now you've killed your Pinzgauer? :(

Not nice to talk about dead horses and Pinzgauers in the same paragraph. :lol:

Talk is cheep, no YouTube video it never happened. :P
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

edzz wrote:
Nomad wrote:Seems like a dead horse at this point
What, now you've killed your Pinzgauer? :(

Not nice to talk about dead horses and Pinzgauers in the same paragraph. :lol:

Talk is cheep, no YouTube video it never happened. :P
Now that I got a chuckle out of. I didn't even realize the irony in what I was saying until your post.

The thread now is pretty much de-railed and should likely just be left alone. It was about clutches before the back and forth crap.

Cheers