No Clutch

Engine troubles? Try here.
berger
Canada

No Clutch

Post by berger »

Hey Guys.

I was planning on doing some wheelin tomorrow....only got the okay this evening...so I went to get the truck ready. I haven't driven it in about a month, but when I last did it was fine. I started the truck in the garage, let it warm uo, then went to back out and it would not reverse. Clutch feel and travel seemed normal, but I couldnot get into any gear! Any ideas? I tried to search, but I am a little frustrated right now. There are no odd noises, just nothing when I put it into any gear and release the clutch.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Re: No Clutch

Post by undysworld »

Stuck clutch disc? If you're going tomorrow, I'd get busy and drop that tranny.

More often I've seen situations where it won't disengage, and is stuck in gear. Sounds like that's not your issue.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Ya, trip is cancelled. Not going to risk it. Does this normally happen without warning? Admittedly, I don't know much about clutches.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

A customer of mine had a leaking clutch slave that mixed into mud when dust from clutch plates mixed with it. He parked it for a month and the mud had rusted the pressure plate to the friction plate. It was a mess that also required a new thrust bearing.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

I feel like such a dumbass! I got to thinking on why this would have happened all of a sudden...and what I was last doing on the truck. The last maintenance I did was to lube the drive shaft, and to do so I put the transfer case in neutral so I could spin it. It just hit me after I replied to Undy's post. Sure enough....I have a clutch again!!

I will just say my red face is a sunburn! ;) thanks for the replies guys!

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

Awesome!!! Easy Fix!
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Andre wrote:Awesome!!! Easy Fix!
To say I was very happy is an understatement!! :)

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

berger wrote:The last maintenance I did was to lube the drive shaft, and to do so I put the transfer case in neutral so I could spin it. It just hit me after I replied to Undy's post. Sure enough....I have a clutch again!!
Ah ha! Did the same drive shaft lube last weekend and had the same duh moment when I finished all the other lube checks and went to take off, but since only an hour had transpired since putting it into neutral, it was a quick recovery.

You've may have discovered a simple anti-theft procedure. :)
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Aww.. I love happy endings! And good call putting the transfer case in neutral as a theft prevention device!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Just a bit of info for anyone having clutch issues in the future.

Years ago I did some playing in some deep water and mud. Got stuck badly. Once out all was good. Drove the truck to camp and parked it for the night. Got up in the morning and had no clutch! So I think, great, I wasted my clutch. I order up a new clutch, tear out the trans and what do I find!? The t/o bearing had rusted just a touch and was stuck on the shaft. The clutch was in good shape and this was the only problem. I installed the new clutch any ways.

food for thought.

Cheers
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Solution: Stay out of the mud. This is a vehicle not a boat. Last I heard they don't even float.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

krick3tt wrote:Solution: Stay out of the mud. This is a vehicle not a boat. Last I heard they don't even float.
Agreed! One hour of mudding with a Pinzgauer requires three hours of maintenance. Keep 'em dry and they are much happier machines.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

This is simply my opinion but I really don't see the point in owning a truck like a Pinz if you don't take it where it was intended to be used, in particular the 712s. That old school factory video shows the trucks being used hard in the very type of terrain you say stay out of! Does driving in mud or water require more maintenance? Of course! That applies to any truck taken into this type of terrain. Myself, if all I wanted to do was drive on pavement or dirt roads I would drive something like a 100-series Land Cruiser. I also don't see the point in taking a Pinz rock crawling since it was never designed or intended for that type of use and will fail hard in the rocks, unless you just go straight up. Not to mention for $5k you can buy a sweet Toyota rock crawler and beat it to death. So IMHO the Pinz excels on backcountry roads, mud, water, hill climbs or high speed on mildly rough roads, think bad washboard. That is what it was designed for and it does that stuff very well. My Pinz comes to life when I use it this way, down the pavement, honestly it sucks badly but as soon as I leave the pavement I am grinning ear to ear. It simply comes to life when I use it this way.

And I think the clutch that gave me probs would have been fine had I simply driven the truck more than the mile it was back to camp. Driving it would have dried it out. Instead I parked it and it got a little sticky.

Cheers
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

That was said very tongue-in-cheek. Of course use the pinz any way one wishes.
Some prefer not to beat their vehicles to death. That said, they are made to be roughly used.
To each his own.

Happy trails
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I've seen a Pinz clutch "go out" when packed with mud. Too bad they didn't take a lesson from Volvo and completely seal the clutch housing...
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy