Shutting down the engine

Engine troubles? Try here.
krick3tt

Shutting down the engine

Post by krick3tt »

Interesting event on my drive to and from the Overland Expo. I turn the key to off position and the engine continues to operate. I have my foot on the brake. When I release the brake the engine
shuts down, but not until I release the brake pedal. Happened several times, usually when I have been driving for a long time...two to three hours.
Never did this before. Also the number 12 breaker pops occasionally...no connection to the time of engine quirk. Usually in connection with the turn signal being used.
Getting odd this pinz is.

Any suggestions?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Buzz
United States of America

Re: Shutting down the engine

Post by Buzz »

I had a problem with my ignition switch a number if years ago. I would turn it off and the truck kept running. It also drained the batteries once. I sprayed electric parts cleaner through the switch and it solved the problem.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Is it the fuel solenoids in the carbs? They should turn off the fuel when the ignition key is off.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

crcpinz wrote:Is it the fuel solenoids in the carbs? They should turn off the fuel when the ignition key is off.
I was thinking the same thing. My '71 Nova used to do that some times.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

If it shuts off when you release the brake petal, I'd suspect something vacuum related.
'76 710K
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

There is the possibility that it could be caused by engine overheating. Excessive heat can also pop a breaker. If taking your foot off the brake kills it when it is in gear, I would say this may be a possibility; if it's in neutral when you release the brake, I would lean more towards something else.

I had an old van that I drove home 12 miles after a wreck that knocked a hole in my radiator. My engine was so overheated by the time I got home that I could only get it to die by putting a load on it, by putting it in gear. I later found out that this is called dieseling.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks for that tip...

Heating could be the issue as we were driving through the desert south of Moab on the way to Flagstaff for the Overland Expo. Not had the issue
since then and no 12 breaker popping.

Getting used to all the little quirks my pinz has even after having it for 7 years. Did not have this issue in SoCal in the desert when it was 113 F.
Sort of has a personality of its own...maybe it is transference :roll:
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford