Crankshaft Pulley Re-installation

Engine troubles? Try here.
Mead
Canada

Crankshaft Pulley Re-installation

Post by Mead »

So after our adventures at Trailfest last month I'm hoping to finally find some time to get this truck back together.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8347

So, I started pulling everything apart again as during our re-installation in the motel parking lot we were unsuccessful in re-installing the key/spring between the pulley and the crankshaft and so, after 2-3 hours of driving the timing was starting to slip again. Using a camera scope I was able to see what I believe is a piece of the key/spring that appears to be broken off thus stopping the piece that I have from being fully and properly inserted.
Pulley_5.JPG
Pulley_5.JPG (159.68 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
In the above pic you can see the small piece that I think is broken off and stuck in the crankshaft gear. Can anyone confirm that this is correct or is this something else that has perhaps fallen out of place during our partial re-assembly?
Pulley_2.JPG
Pulley_2.JPG (99.89 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
In this pic is the key/spring that fell out when we removed the pulley for the first time in the parking lot not knowing that there was a key in there to begin with. My question here is, does this look to be complete or should it be longer or a different shape at the end suggesting that some of it is still in there?

My final question if my suspicions are correct is, how might one go about removing that small broken piece(there's not much to grab a hold of)? Will I need to pull the motor and do a complete tear down to get to it or is there a simpler way that I'm overlooking? Somewhat new to all of this but very mechanical with a big shop and plenty of tools on hand and I don't mind a challenge, so all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Josh
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
'82 - 712AMB/M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Crankshaft Pulley Re-installation

Post by TechMOGogy »

I don't see anything on diagram??
Attachments
crank.jpg
crank.jpg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Number 8.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

as berger wrote ---#8 spring ----- part 7101020121/ group 01-05-08

http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=01-05

Odd I would have thought that would be a woodruff key.
Last edited by edzz on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

So, you have a 71 or early 72 engine, all newer engines use a woodruff type key. The brass distributor drive gear must be removed to replace either type key :( Not an easy task.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Interesting 82 712 but with early engine :?:
Removing dist gear news sucks!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

You "should" (?) be able to pull the seal straight out, then remove the distributor drive gear. The gear is a tight fit on the shaft & key though. I think I'd source a back-up just in case you mangle yours. Beats splitting the case though.
Attachments
DSC00244.jpeg
DSC00244.jpeg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
P1210803.jpeg
P1210803.jpeg (55.53 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
'76 710K
Mead
Canada

Post by Mead »

Thanks Stekay!

Excellent pics thanks for posting.

I may try that, I'm heading to my shop this afternoon to see what sort of progress I can make, I'll post some more pics when I gain some more ground on the situation. Should be a great learning experience either way it turns out. :wink:
Josh
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
'82 - 712AMB/M
Mead
Canada

Post by Mead »

Ok, so some progress has finally been made on this small issue that I've been playing with. The timing gear has now been removed (after having to remove the motor from the truck) and now I am slightly more confused. In the picture below are the parts that have come off; the timing gear, the spring/feather-key (which fell out during the original removal) and a woodruff key that Jim LaGuardia had suggest that I might not have if I had an older '71 or '72 motor.

My question now to anyone who might be able to answer is; might the woodruff key and the spring/feather-key have been attached to one another at one point or is the spring /feather-key even necessary in this situation?

When I purchased my truck from Pinzgauer Cananda, Karl had made it clear to me then that this particular truck had seen its motor replaced prior to going to auction. So, it was no surprise to me to hear that someone thought that this was an older motor. But, I'm curious now if this motor was pieced together out of newer and older parts at the time. If I stack all the pieces in order on my desk roughly where the should be placed it appears that the spring/feather-key is too long which leads me to believe that perhaps it wasn't suppose to be there and is only adding to the confusion. So, I'm interested to know how far this woodruff key engages the actual crankshaft pulley itself, on my desk it appears to only be about a 1/2" into the pulley. I'm wondering now if I just replace my pulley which was damaged from driving when it loosened off and leave the spring/feather-key out during reassembly if all will be OK

Spring/feather-key too long?
Damaged pulley temporarily repaired with JB Weld

As usual any and all comments and or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Timing gear_4.JPG
Timing gear_4.JPG (44.92 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Timing gear_6.JPG
Timing gear_6.JPG (59.64 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Timing gear_7.JPG
Timing gear_7.JPG (42.78 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Timing gear_2.JPG
Timing gear_2.JPG (45.38 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Timing gear.JPG
Timing gear.JPG (48.24 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Josh