12 volt 712 -carby solenoids? any ideas

Engine troubles? Try here.
Warren

12 volt 712 -carby solenoids? any ideas

Post by Warren »

Hello, my name is warren this is my first post I am from Melbourne Australia and have only been a pinz owner for less than a year.
I bought my pinz already converted to 12 volts only the carb solenoids are still the original 24v they do work with a 12v supply however they are a little lazy or slow to open, it runs very well as all 4 do open but I am not happy with this as they will close if you tilt them on an angle where the spade terminal is only slightly higher than the nozzle.
These solenoids are easily found in 12 volt they came out in many early VW, Porsch,solex carbs among others I believe also only the size of the 3 holes in the nozzle end are available in 52.5 and 55(approx 1mm) the pinz 24v solenoid is 250(approx 3mm) hole and there is a big difference between them. I hope that was clear enough.
I am wondering whether to try the 12v solenoids as is or should i drill them. Will using them as is lean out fuel mixture dangerously. Has anyone out there come across this issue. I have spoken to a couple of people down here in carb workshops but none are familiar with this carb and therefore reserve their opinions, I have noticed there are some on this forum who have a very good understanding of these carbs (Jim and Scott) and I would really value their opinion.
Thanks Warren
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
waterdog
Paraguay

Re: 12 volt 712 -carby solenoids? any ideas

Post by waterdog »

Wow,, interesting... Did they rewire the entire truck for 12 volts To allow amp draw??
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
Warren

Post by Warren »

yes alternator rewind and from what i can tell most wiring was replaced everything from battery box through engine bay to new fuse box mounted under dash all new gauges except speedo, headlights, wiper motor and intermittent switch, fan has a circuit of some kind??? the wiring running down to rear lights may or may not be original, channel and junction box definately are. I have never seen another pinz to make a comparison, also the system is working well so far so i have not gone over as it closely as i plan to in near future, when i do i am sure i will have to improve on other shortcuts that may have been taken by the previous owner. I will not be surprised if the starter motor is still 24v or had a poor rewind job as it turns slightly slowly and sometimes the first press of the button will only throw solenoid but second press will always turn, it could be on its last legs but it is a consistent problem that is not getting any worse, BTW it always starts in 1 to 3 turns coldstart and yes my batteries are good, i hope to source or put together a 12v gear reduction unit before the need arises. I forgot to mention the ignition is electronic with external module, hall effect switch built into a common bosch distributor housing they are very reliable. I hope that satisfies some of your interest. warren
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

thanks for your reply!.... cheers 8) 8)
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150