12 volt 712 -carby solenoids? any ideas

Engine troubles? Try here.
Warren

12 volt 712 -carby solenoids? any ideas

Post by Warren »

Hello, my name is warren this is my first post I am from Melbourne Australia and have only been a pinz owner for less than a year.
I bought my pinz already converted to 12 volts only the carb solenoids are still the original 24v they do work with a 12v supply however they are a little lazy or slow to open, it runs very well as all 4 do open but I am not happy with this as they will close if you tilt them on an angle where the spade terminal is only slightly higher than the nozzle.
These solenoids are easily found in 12 volt they came out in many early VW, Porsch,solex carbs among others only the size of the 3 holes in the nozzle end are available in 52.5 and 55(approx 1mm) the pinz 24v solenoid is 250(approx 3mm) hole and there is a big difference between them. I hope that was clear enough.
I am wondering whether to try the 12v solenoids as is or should i drill them. Will using them as is lean out fuel mixture dangerously. Has anyone out there come across this issue. I have spoken to a couple of people down here in carb workshops but none are familiar with this carb and therefore reserve their opinions, I have noticed there are some on this forum who have a very good understanding of these carbs (Jim and Scott) and I would really value their opinion.
Thanks Warren
Last edited by Warren on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 11 times in total.
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
pinzinator

Re: 12 volt 712 -carby solenoids? any ideas

Post by pinzinator »

My question is, are the solenoids really necessary? What would happen if you removed them and installed plugs instead? Is dieseling such a problem that solenoids are needed?
Warren

Post by Warren »

you are most likley correct but why the differences in sizes the solenoids are all stamped referring to the 3 holes, if the amount of fuel can be altered by different sizes is it possible that these solenoids do not only cut fuel off but also when open provide a measured percentage of total fuel ratio, i am likley way off track i just do not understand why the solenoids are stamped in the same way jets are in reference to their size if they only cut fuel, i have never pulled one of these carbs down yet so i have much to learn about them. Hopefully somebody will set me straight soon, i do have a 32 ndix on my bench that has been cast without any threads for solenoids or blanking so clearly they can work without them i am really just being overly anal about understanding how my carbys work.
cheers warren
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
1993 Nissan GQ
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Welcome aboard Warren.

I suspect that when Jim L. gets back from Mogfest early next week he will chime in on this thread.

I would suggest keeping an eye on the replaced wiring for chaffing, the previous owner of my truck ran some additional circuits some of which had lost much of their insulation when I bought my truck due to bad routing and not being properly secured, all better now. :)

It would be good if you add your location to your profile.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Warren

Post by Warren »

sorry i am brand new to computers, smartphones etc. i have had to embrace this bloody frustrating technology soley because of my pinz i will admit it is very useful though, i will go back and add more details to my profile.
Im sure i will be asking for help with how to post photos etc in near future, cheers warren
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
1993 Nissan GQ