Pinzi SSI

Engine troubles? Try here.
Andre
United States of America

Re: Pinzi SSI

Post by Andre »

Compression test would be a good idea as well.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

Thanks,
Andre, compression has been good on all but I will check it again.

I have put a jumper bypassing the 4500 rpm unit already. It remains in place.

Alternator has good output.

I have not specifically load tested the batteries. will do. Starter runs well.

Again, thanks!
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

3D printing will soon be phased in as way of producing a part for the PinzSSI ignition system. The engagement foot at the lower end of the module shaft is in the experimental stage, I will be installing it into my Pinzgauer this weekend. The material is supposed to be able to take extreme heat and stress, and is nylon based. In the photos you can see how the original aluminum foot compares to the 3D part.
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG (394.04 KiB) Viewed 8685 times
Attachments
IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG (363.8 KiB) Viewed 8685 times
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

PinzSSI is back online with the addition of an integrated voltage converter. Last summer we had problems with modules that were too sensitive to the stock Bosch charging system, minor spikes and fluctuations were wreaking havoc with the ECM. In some cases a newly installed ignition system would not even start! All defective systems were either replaced or a full refund was made. It was quite embarrassing to our PR department, to say the least. The repair tech almost lost his mind trying to figure out the problem!

Then my good buddy Paul Colette told me about a voltage converter that might be worth looking into. This compact device reduces 28 volts from the Pinzgauer to a usable voltage to the modules, around 14 volts. What makes this device unique is that it also acts as an electrical firewall, isolating the ECM from and high or low voltages, load dumps, and spikes. Both positive and negative spikes cannot get into the system, up to 96 VDC. In some situations, the chassis can back feed into the ECM, the converter prevents this as it works on an isolated ground, nothing can touch it.

Older PinzSSI ignitions were not affected by voltage issues like the batch we got in June. The manufacturer was at fault, but the bottom line is the customer dealt with the problems in the field, but we made it right.
Now the PinzSSI 2.0 comes ready to install, only one butt sleeve needs to be compressed at the battery at the 10-amp fuse link. The rest is plug-and-play! Only 3 connections, and the harness is completely assembled.
Installation in a nutshell- 1) Connect the ground wire with a screw 2) Connect a pre-made female tap to a fuel solenoid, reconnect the solenoid 3) Connect the coil 4)Connect the fuse tap at the battery 5) Set the timing. That's it, installation is complete! Our engineering department hit a home run with this new design. Simpler and more durable.

Every ignition is bench tested before being sold, and the customer is provided a copy of the results. This system WILL work in your Pinzgauer, this is verified upon completion at the assembly room in California. All connections are crimped and soldered, with the exception of the ground wire in some early units. Several are already operating in 3 states with complete success.

Older ignitions can be retrofitted with the converter, accounting is coming up with a price, rumor is around $175 complete. The harness has to be re-configured by one of our technicians to make it work with the upgrade, plus a new base plate is provided, and then it is bench tested. Turnover time is about 2 weeks, and only the module has to be sent for the update. You use the original module shaft, coil, plugs, and plug wires.

As an added bonus, the PinzSSI 2.0 has a tap (purple wire) for connecting up to 7 amps of 12 volts DC, which can be used for small items such as a GPS, phone charger, radio, etc.

The web site does not yet reflect the changes to the system, contact us at pinzssi@outlook.com for ordering information. $750 delivered in the USA, $800 international. Due to the time that it takes to hand assemble and test PinzSSI 2.0, there may be a delay in shipping, in which case you will be notified.

Note- the photos below do not reflect the isolated ground, those sold do have it. Also, there are video links at the bottom.
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG (630.93 KiB) Viewed 8364 times
IMG_1500.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG (687.13 KiB) Viewed 8364 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZPcexYstWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59iv9vEyC30
Last edited by pinzinator on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Eaton controls DC/DC converter! Nice, excellent pick.
Convection cooled, no fan, and very reliable.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

The Surepower was a one-time purchase for testing and design purposes, the Eaton unit is standard.

Even though manufacturing corrections were made to the ECM late last summer, the addition of the converter boosts the reliability factor considerably. As Pinzgauers age, the charging system deteriorates without change in performance with the stock ignition, but a computer such as the ECM can sense it. PinzSSI can now operate over a much wider range of voltage issues inherent to the Pinzgauer. In fact, the Pinzgauer cannot produce voltages that the converter has capability to protect against, even with a weak diode or regulator.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

A big plus is eliminating tapping off of the bottom Battery for 12V
and running a true 24V/12V conversion. Just cleaner and no potential
issues for a leakage path for the top Battery. This is just more robust.

The one thing that bugs me about many of these converter companies
is a lack of a comprehensive specification. For example, how well does
the Output voltage stay in spec. as the input voltage is varied. I have
bench tested several common 24V/12V converters with pretty surprising
results. In one case going below 19V Input voltage the Output cutoff,
well below 6V. Another manufacturer's unit stayed in regulation with
an input voltage of only 15.0V, holding at 13.6V at a load of 10A.

pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

You pose an interesting question. The spec sheet I read on this particular converter claimed to maintain a steady secondary voltage at rated current when the primary voltage was between 6V and 96V. PinzSSI draws a current of about .365 amps at idle on the primary side, and it doesn't change much at all at 2,000 RPM. I like the firewall feature, which is important to dependability, too.

The converter is not a cheap one in price or quality. The price increase does not cover the added cost, but the anticipated lack of problems makes it all worthwhile.
Last edited by pinzinator on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

That's pretty unusual, a converter that is both Buck and Boost,
e.g. works both when the Input is Higher and Lower than the
output. The circuitry to do that is certainly expensive. I wonder
what the application was they were designing to -- it's just a
wee bit out of the norm. I'd love to get a copy of that spec
if you have one.

pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I cannot find the spec sheet that described the firewall parameters, but I did find this shorter version. So far the device has performed flawlessly.
A larger capacity version is available is a customer wanted to power something bigger, but not a winch.

Converter.jpg
Converter.jpg (229.11 KiB) Viewed 8274 times
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I cannot find the spec sheet that described the firewall parameters, but I did find this shorter version. So far the device has performed flawlessly.
A larger capacity version is available is a customer wanted to power something bigger, but not a winch.

Converter.jpg
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Well that helped to get me to this link
https://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsSer ... htm#tabs-1

Again I think this is an excellent choice, but, the Marketing slide you show is just that.
The reference to the input voltage range 9V-96V I think is misleading. For example, the
9V input would likely match to a DCDC converter that is 12V In with a 24V Out, e.g. it
operates to spec down to 9V. The 96V likely matches to a 48V converter application.
That Input range from 9V-96V is just not practical to implement for a 24V->12V converter.
It could be done but it would be a lot bigger, far more internal parts, and EXPENSIVE. As
a test I'd bet this converter will not produce output if the input is tied to a 12V battery.
This is just a nit point anyway :wink: I would bet this unit works well down to the high
teens in input voltage e.g. 18V or so.

Oh, it also occurred to me that this converter is placed on the Coil bracket, and thus
the ambient temp has to be pretty hot. Typically, power devices don't want to be over
70C, which is 158F. I suppose on a hot summer day the case temp of this converter
could approach or even exceed that. In addition to that there's the heat rise on top of the
converter itself which will increase that internal temperature -- depending upon the output
current. Might be an area of concern here?

rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

No intention of providing information overload and going beyond the scope of this thread -but-
I did find more information on the Eaton DCDC converter.

First not a complete Specification, but Waytek did have a more complete spec as below.

https://www.waytekwire.com/datasheet/80117.pdf

Page 8, seems to be the relevant spec for this converter. Note, MAX case temp of 85C to
maintain Output. That's mighty hot at 185F, ideally you want to run below the max. So is
the unit at or below that Temp positioned near Cylinder #2 -- probably. However, it would
be interesting to get a probe on that unit with the Engine under load to know for sure.

pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

You are right, the converter is strictly a 2-1 step down transformer, not a regulator. But having this converter has 2 distinct advantages 1) The module is much more forgiving if one battery is bad or undercharged. If both batteries have a combined output of 18 volts minimum, the module with function (not including starting, which can drop it below the minimum threshold). 2) It will stop spikes from defective diodes, load dumps, and jump starting. Spikes can damage a module permanently, or cause a need for re-programming. The vast majority of vehicles will never produce a spike.
Older PinzSSI ignitions will continue to run perfectly as long as the charging system and batteries are kept in good operating condition. The converter simply expands the safe operating parameters, which may or may not ever be needed.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

kdiqq wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:16 am Has anyone done this on an Austrian pinz? After looking at this picture I realize my seat belt mount sits right next to where the coils are.. Worried that they will hit.
Looks like nobody ever answered this. I have a similar questions if anyone has any learning experiences on the Austrian (rehab) installations. I am getting ready to do the install on a quiet day.

From what I can tell:

- The "rehab" seat belt mounts only really interfere with easy access to the plugs 3 and 4 from above, so you go from the bottom.
- I don't think the SSI board in its current form with the regulator would have any problem fitting forward of the rehab driver belt mount.
- The Austrian rehabs have a cold air regulator that, IIRC, has a vac line - the vac lines and routing is somewhat different.

If anyone knows of any other anomalies on the Austrian rehab models, please let me know. Haven't pulled the doghouse in a while but will soon see.
Last edited by djw on Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help