Pinzi SSI

Engine troubles? Try here.
ako

Re: Pinzi SSI

Post by ako »

GenevaPinz wrote: I get that I need to align the red light. But I was reading in earlier posts guys were measuring degrees so the red light was "on" a few degrees before TDC instead of right on TDC.
If you remind me I will take some photos for you and post them up to walk you through it.

There are photos in the manual that comes with the SSI kit, but I guess a few more details wouldn't hurt.

And I think some might be slightly out of date, I seem to recall the LED indicated in the photos is different to the actual kit I got before summer.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Thanks a lot!
I did download the Powerpoint which does not mention anything about adjusting advance, just matching the pointer on the TDC mark with the red LED. As it does not mention anything (or show) the different advance curves or the 4-position rotary selection knob or the later 2-position switch either, I was wondering if the newer version is even more "plug-an-play" than the earlier ones.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

I'll be keeping an eye on this myself. I just ordered mine yesterday.
-1972 710M
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

I am surprised to find out that PinzSSI is also a 12 V solution requiring a voltage converter....
looking at the electrical power steering I guess it is about time to install a 12V generator and build up a parallel electrical installation :-)
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

It doesn't require a voltage converter for the 12V, just a connection to one of your batteries. I've had both of my PinzSSI connected to the front batteries on each Pinz for over a year now with no significant drain on one battery over the other. I do equalize/charge the batteries every couple of months or so but I always have even prior to the PinzSSI, just to keep the batteries the same.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Do not try to out guess the advance curves. Just set it to tdc. The two curves work vey well. The exact location of the led will probably not match the image in the manual. I was told the internals of the module are not indexed to the exterior, so don't try to match the alignment in the picture,
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Hotzenplotz wrote:I am surprised to find out that PinzSSI is also a 12 V solution requiring a voltage converter....
looking at the electrical power steering I guess it is about time to install a 12V generator and build up a parallel electrical installation :-)

Thought about installing a separate 12v system using a small 12v magneto or alternator from a garden tractor or such. Don't remember where I found this example.
Attachments
pinz12v_008_small_820.jpg
pinz12v_008_small_820.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

So.... not a double pulley but a longer belt to accommodate the pulley on the additional alternator. I have only seen it done with a double groove pulley which is an even greater expense. Looks to be an acceptable solution to making 12V, not from a battery or converter, since the additional voltage is only required while the engine is running.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

krick3tt wrote:So.... not a double pulley but a longer belt to accommodate the pulley on the additional alternator. I have only seen it done with a double groove pulley which is an even greater expense. Looks to be an acceptable solution to making 12V, not from a battery or converter, since the additional voltage is only required while the engine is running.
It seems they created a separate 12v system here is a link to where i found the photo several years ago http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread ... stem/page4 You need to be logged into SS to see the photos. Thought about doing this never got around to it. :(
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

McCall Pinz wrote:Do not try to out guess the advance curves. Just set it to tdc.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

edzz wrote:
krick3tt wrote:So.... not a double pulley but a longer belt to accommodate the pulley on the additional alternator. I have only seen it done with a double groove pulley which is an even greater expense. Looks to be an acceptable solution to making 12V, not from a battery or converter, since the additional voltage is only required while the engine is running.
It seems they created a separate 12v system here is a link to where i found the photo several years ago http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread ... stem/page4 You need to be logged into SS to see the photos. Thought about doing this never got around to it. :(
Very cool!!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Gut Automotive in Switzerland offers a bracket for the addition of a fairly large 12v alternator to the air cooled Pinzy motor using a single belt - here is a pic:

http://www.gut-automobile.ch/assets/000 ... ghtbox.jpg

http://www.gut-automobile.ch/assets/000 ... ghtbox.jpg

There are some additional pictures of it on an engine at this link - look down in the sixth row for them (can't seem to link them here):

http://www.gut-automobile.ch/de/pinzgau ... pinzgauers#

Note that the engine is on its side in these photos with the cylinder heads at the top instead of its normal horizontal position.

The only downside is the price - Price EUR 1,124 / Price CHF 1'180

"12 volt 90 amp auxiliary alternator for efficiently charging additional 12-volt batteries. Matching the Pinzgauer 710/712 motor a galvanized mounting bracket (Price excl. Installation, excl. Battery)"
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Then add in the double pully you need to run it minus the HP that it sucks to drive a 90 amp alt :)
90 amps is overkill IMHO unless you trying to convert whole truck but then you don't need 2 alts!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The Gut Automotive unit uses a single belt - so no double pulley required for it.

I agree that a 90 amp alternator is overkill - I would just go with a small 40 amp one instead.

Certainly would be an option to consider if you wanted to use a 12 vdc winch as they are cheaper and easier to get / replace / repair.

The availability of 24vdc accessories in the USA is much more limited than in Europe.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

I would guess this is designed to feed one or two 12v batteries to power the usual camper-conversion amenities, which would be the main market for the extra alternator. A fridge, a couple of lights, maybe A/C and a microwave and all of a sudden 90 amps doesn't sound so overkill anymore.

About the price, Zurich (where Gut is based) is regularly ranked the most expensive place in the world for the cost of living. They do some very good quality work but they pay local-rate rents and wages, same as their suppliers, no surprise it ends up being passed on to the customer. As an example, I ordered a side panel for my 710m last week, the original one is rusted and repairing / repainting is not the cost-conscious way to do it. Gut sold the panel to me for about CHF 420 (these days Swiss Franc is on par with the dollar) while SAV has them for US$ 170... Shipping costs tilted the balance back in Gut's way, but not by much... plus the fact that shipping large parcels between continents is not exactly good for my carbon footprint (which is big enough already with my carbureted toys...) :D
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M