Pinzi SSI

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Pinzi SSI

Post by audiocontr »

Ok, then I'm confused. What's the difference between the pinzissi system and the VW? Switch, resistor and Pre programmed maps?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

audiocontr wrote:Ok, then I'm confused. What's the difference between the pinzissi system and the VW? Switch, resistor and Pre programmed maps?
Probably. When I spoke to the folks at PA, they said it would need to be programmed. That is how the PinzSSI has the rev limit set. For what the PinzSSI is selling for, it seems quite reasonable, as the VW kit from PA is not much cheaper, plus the PinzSSI comes with plugs and is programmed for the Pinz.

I am seriously interested, but don't want to be a Guinea pig.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Interested as well but would like to eventually go to fuel injected. Wish this could be used as a stepping stone to that..
Tim
1975 710K
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I have had the PinzSSI system on my truck for a couple of months now, and it has performed flawlessly. The main question I get about it is it waterproof? Yes, it is under normal circumstances. I'm sure the coil pack/relay would work if submerged, but I'm not so sure about the module (distributor). It certainly seems to be watertight, and probably could be made so with an O-ring and small O-rings under the 2 screws. But stock I would have to say keep it out of the water.
The biggest change I noticed was the lack of hesitation when starting out. The Pinzgauer starts a lots easier, too. This kit won't make your truck run like a 2.7 conversion, but it will run great without a miss. Next I'm going to get the carbs re-synchronized, because with a good ignition the fuel system problems, if any, are all that is left- assuming your engine is in good mechanical condition. My carbs haven't been touched in 10 years, and it's time to install the pair that Jim rebuilt for me last year.
I have taken the Pinz out in various traffic conditions, using all 4 of the advance curves. I found one that works the best, the others don't really change things much. I spoke with the builder, and he stated that the curve I liked was the one to use, as it used the most aggressive advance. I also set the initial timing at 8 degrees BTDC @ 750 RPM. I'm not sure what the total advance is, I'm thinking it maxes out at 32 or 35 degrees at around 2600 RPM or so. I could be wrong, I will provide exact specifications as soon as I get them. Right now I don't see any advantage to multiple curves. This is an 89 HP engine moving a 4200+ lb. vehicle, it will never be fast. But it can be dependable, which is the whole idea behind my efforts. Set it and forget it.
New resistor plugs come with the kit, along with pre-cut plug resistor wires. It was really nice to see the old distributor, coil, and wires on the work bench, retired forever. The engine looks a lot less cluttered, too.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

audio, the VW system will not work on the Pinzgauer. The PinzSSI kit is made to go into the Pinz block, and is programmed for that engine only. The harness is custom made to Pinz specifications, too. The top of the module may look the same, that's about it.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Great.....something else to buy now! :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

The common denominator for water intrusion problems with any of the Pinz systems is usually high speed driving in heavy rain. The rain comes straight up the tunnel sped up by the fan draw and hits the side/top of the distributor. If you are running a truck in these conditions, then you may want to consider alternative measures such as a "rain shroud" or waterproof distributor bag.

My guess is a small sheet metal shroud in front of the distributor would probably take care of a majority of the water intrusion problems. In the case of this ignition system, a "distributor bag" would be even easier as you are not having to fight with sealing all of the spark plug wires coming off the top of the distributor.

In general very LOW AMP 12V draw off of a single battery, should not be a problem. I believe the draw for this unit and the coil pack is less than 2 amps, so I would think it should be fine. I will be interested to see if people experience any problems with this method. On the flip a 24-12 converter is readily available if it is a concern, although it adds another level of complexity to the system.

The big benefit of this system is the elimination of so many mechanical parts. Specifically, the mechanical advance mechanism is the biggy for me as those repair parts are becoming very difficult to source and we are seeing a lot of problems surface in this area.

For those that think the price is too high, you are in for sticker shock if you call us to purchase a new distributor because your mechanical advance has gone out.......

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

ExpeditionImports wrote:The common denominator for water intrusion problems with any of the Pinz systems is usually high speed driving in heavy rain. The rain comes straight up the tunnel sped up by the fan draw and hits the side/top of the distributor. If you are running a truck in these conditions, then you may want to consider alternative measures such as a "rain shroud" or waterproof distributor bag.
Yup, this is exactly what happened to me with both the stock ignition and the civi ignition. I cut open a Ural inner tube and made a wrap, closing it with zip ties. Works very well.

This would work well for 009 dizzy:
cover.JPG
cover.JPG (30.78 KiB) Viewed 7914 times
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

So if I have been reading this correctly this system has a built in rev limiter and would then eliminate the Pinz dashboard rev limiter?
Or is it that the original rev limiter is still there but would never come on as this new kit does the rev limiting?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

TechMOGogy wrote:So if I have been reading this correctly this system has a built in rev limiter and would then eliminate the Pinz dashboard rev limiter?
Or is it that the original rev limiter is still there but would never come on as this new kit does the rev limiting?
The OEM limiter would be bypassed. The Pinz Coil and suppressor are taken out of the equation completely, if I understand the website correctly.
Just remove the old coil, suppressor,
distributor, plugs, and wires and set aside.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Radio Noise Suppressor Gone
Ballast Resistor Gone
Distributor With Advance Mechanism gone
Rotor Gone
Cap Gone
Factory 4500 Rev Limiter gone - Interesting to find out if there is a feed so that the new limiter can be wired into the existing idiot light on the dash?
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Yeah - sorry - Scott said it best as my post was early and I was writing in code or something :)
I just wondered if the dash light could still be made to work!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

From what I have seen and read, I do not think you can run a wire to the dash light. The limiter is programmed into the module. When they are first programmed, curves and and limit RPM's are added using a Windows app and a serial/USB tool.

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Interesting to find out if there is a feed so that the new limiter can be wired into the existing idiot light on the dash?
Does the Pinz limiter just light the idiot light or cut the ignition? (never hit it personally) If it cut's the ignition, that would be my "idiot light".
'76 710K
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

prevents the engine from revving beyond 4500. And there is a wire for feed to an RPM gauge if I'm not mistaken.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com