Pinzi SSI

Engine troubles? Try here.
pinzinator

Re: Pinzi SSI

Post by pinzinator »

Andre is correct, there is a lead to run your tachometer. The module is programmed to signal once with every crankshaft revolution. The VDO in my Pinz has to be re-set, using the switches on the back. Right now it shows about 50% accuracy.

Scott is also right about water prevention, it can't hurt. The module under normal conditions is waterproof, but probably not underwater. I spoke at length with the manufacturer today, and he stated that the module has worked when full of water, but that's a temporary condition. He could make something to fit over the module to make it watertight for submersion, but it would be an add-on for individual buyers. Probably not cheap, either. Since it rarely rains where I live I haven't had a chance to drive in the rain. What I can do is post a video of water running over the module from a hose with the engine running. Then take the cap off and see it any water got in. No customer has had rain issues with any of the other units this company makes, and some are on Harleys- fully exposed. Putting a module in a bucket of water for a while is another test option, the bottom of the stem would have to be sealed first.

There is no way to make the 4500 light go on with this system. You will know when the engine stops revving higher that it is working.

Having 4 advance curve modes is a go. This way Pinzgauers using lower octane fuel can run OK, as well as those at high altitudes. The way it will work is position #1 is the most aggressive for normal street/highway. Then the next 3 settings will lessen the advance for heavy loads, low octane, low speeds off-road, high altitude, or any combination thereof. #4 will be the least aggressive in advance. The wiring is such that if there is a failure (loose connection, cut wire, etc), the timing will go towards #4 instead of advancing to #1. Grounding the 2 advance curve wires puts the curve at #1. Ungrounding 1 wire goes to #2, re-grounding that wire and ungrounding the other goes to #3, ungrounding both goes to #4. Grounding merely completes a circuit, it is not a return path for measureable current. A rotary switch for changing curves is included, as well as a bracket. It mounts using the screw holes that hold the windshield washer bottle.

All brackets are powder coated 1/8" aluminum, in 6014 olive drab. All mounting bolts, screws, ties, and electrical connectors are included.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Andre wrote:prevents the engine from revving beyond 4500. And there is a wire for feed to an RPM gauge if I'm not mistaken.
Really? I have been transported in a 712M back in the days, the driver was in a hurry and did not care about the truck he had been issued, so getting on the highway he would floor it to give the truck momentum, with the "4500" dash light staying on for a full minute or so. The engine wasn't sputtering or anything else typical of rev-limiters in more modern cars.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Maybe he is referring to the PinziSSI unit.
Tim
1975 710K
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

compunerdy wrote:Maybe he is referring to the PinziSSI unit.
Yes, makes a lot of sense now that I read Andre's post again... :oops:
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I did a water leakage test on the module used in the PinzSSI ignition system, it passed without leaking a drop. The video can now be seen on the web site.
I also discovered that setting the timing is very easy, but it must be verified when done. The module is extremely sensitive to movement of the module and timing gears, and timing can be changed just by tightening the pinch bolt. Verification is easy, just hit the start button and let the engine run a few seconds, shut it off, then check again by rotating the engine slowly until the module's LED comes on (key on). If the LED does come on at the correct position of the pulley/timing mark, then you're done. I had to verify 3 times, but verification and adjustment literally takes just seconds. The only tools needed to change the timing are a 10 mm wrench and a wrench to turn the engine. MUCH easier to do than the stock set-up. The Pinzgauer runs great!
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

I'd be pretty careful turning the engine with the key on.
'76 710K
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Stekay wrote:I'd be pretty careful turning the engine with the key on.

Agree for safety pull plug wires.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

The coil pack could be easily disconnected if desired, or you could also leave the key off until the pulley is near the timing mark. The module needs to be energized so the LED can signal the proper position. Think of it as a crank sensor.
The engine cannot be rotated backwards for another reading if you go past the mark due to play in the timing gears. The engine has to maintain rotation in the direction that it runs while setting the timing. It can be tedious!
Modern engines can have a cam sensor to compensate for timing chain stretch, that's how precise ignition systems are today.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

If there is the likelihood of needing multiple rotations to get it right I would think pulling the plugs would make things easier and safer.

:P Also don’t understand the timing chain comment, is that an addition that needs to be made to facilitate the SSI installation? TIC
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Pinzgauers have timing gears, not chains. There is no stretching, but there is a slight play if you rotate in reverse. When setting the timing, you have to be sure that the gears are positioned as if it were running- forward pressure with no play. Removing the plugs would make it easier, I rotate it with a socket on the fan nut with the plugs in.

Once I had the timing set, I ran the engine for a few seconds, only to discover that it was off by 7-8 degrees, so it may take a few attempts to get it right. Example- initially set timing at 12 BTDC degrees to get 7 BTDC degrees when verifying, then 7 degrees will be the actual timing when the engine is running. Engines may vary due to wear and other factors.

Touching the optical disc can throw the whole thing off, too. But like I said, setting timing is very easy and quick.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Anyone else purchase this system and willing to comment on it?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I think most are waiting for Andre to install, test and report as a 2nd test vehicle.
Then I think it may end up as one of the top mods (if all works as it should)!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I will be doing that very thing this weekend. (raining, thus shorts out old plug wires) will let everyone know very soon.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Looking forward to hearing about it.
-1972 710M
HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

pcolette wrote:Very interesting!

My willpower failed :oops: and I ordered one. :) Now I can't wait to try it.
Paul-
Any update? My willpower is about to fail...would luv a SITREP when you can!!

X
Mahalo for your assistance!

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

check out the X-Gauer in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYj_UNQDgpM