Carburator - "Hot Climate" Version

Engine troubles? Try here.
Porksgauer
United States of America

Carburator - "Hot Climate" Version

Post by Porksgauer »

Hi All.. Just bought a 710k model and going through to get it road ready. Engine idle is a bit lack luster and will need work. I plan on rebuilding the carbs completely when the weather cools off. I am curious as to what defined a "Hot Climate" carb ver. Yes there are the various versions for emissions, but the one for "Hot Climate" does not define what hot climate is. Does anybody know this? I reached out to S-tec, as from what I can find they are an offshoot company of Magna, who owns Steyr Puch now...so I would expect them to have that info, but it's been quite.

I'm in south texas and well it's hot. I''m sure I would be fine rebuilding it as original, but my curiosity wants to do a bit of research on this.
Texas710
United States of America

Re: Carburator - "Hot Climate" Version

Post by Texas710 »

Wow, another Texan. Curious about what part of Texas you're in, I'm outside of San Antonio. The next time I've got my manuals out, I'll have to look if it is defined. I would think we qualify as a hot climate.

I went through my carbs a few years ago, bad seals etc. Makes a difference, but plan on spending some time doing it, they are pretty complex but it is doable.
Porksgauer
United States of America

Post by Porksgauer »

Outside Houston area..

I've searched hi and lo in the service manual, operating instruction...and nothing.. Sec A, pg 71 lists the 4 carb versions... but I can seem to find a definition to a hot climate version.

yep full rebuild...in fact I will be redoing the factory chromate finish on the die-cast bodies back to the olive drab finish... I tend to over due the rebuild and detail everything... it's a curse..haha
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Hotter air is thinner, so less fuel is required to maintain the same air/fuel lambda ratio. This means a smaller main jet would be needed. I'm not sure what to recommend, except rebuild them correctly and sync them correctly and it should run fine.
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

I'd recommend chatting at Jim LaGuardia of Goatwerks on this topic. He's one of the carb gurus here and has undoubtedly rebuilt and tuned more Pinzgauer carbs than just about anyone else. I'm sure he'll be able to get you sorted.
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
Porksgauer
United States of America

Post by Porksgauer »

Thanks for the contact. I will reach out to him and see if he has any info on this.
hatzlibutzli
Germany

Post by hatzlibutzli »

Those are different jet combinations I collectet over the years
1. Steyr Repair Manual and my Pinz from Ex Jugoslavia Army Carb. Vers. 2 BJ 80
2. Technical Description Austrian Army 2. Edition (the Rehab-Version: leaner an cleaner)
3. another elder Repair manual
4. a Swiss K early version from 1975

1. 2. 3. 4.
Hauptdüse 135 125 140 140 Main Jet
Luftkorrekturdüse 230 170 230 230 Air Correction Jet
Leerlaufdüse 55 55 60 60 Idle Jet
LL-Luftdüse 130 110 130 130 Idle Air Jet
Pumpe alle all 80 Pump

If you go with the later, non enviromental corrected No 1. version you are on the safer side if you are on sea level. By the way my Pinzgauer survived several long Sahara trips with that jetting.
The tropical version of the Pinz had a lower compression (1:7.5 instead of 1:9.0 if I remember correctly). A tribute not to the heat, but the bad fuel quality (80 octane) that was in the 1980s commonplace in North Africa and especially Nigeria, a good customer for Steyr Puch since the Haflinger days. The tropical version also featured a zyclonic "mushroom" over the tunnel in the front of the car: https://pinzgauer-ersatzteile.webnode.a ... pinzgauer/

Regards from the alps .... Simon