lpg- cylinder head temps

Engine troubles? Try here.
Warren

lpg- cylinder head temps

Post by Warren »

Im interested in picking the brain of anybody who has been running lpg/ dual fuel for significant km's, my concerns are only minor but I am curious as to whether anyone has fitted a cyl head temp sensor for lpg or other. the very hard valves and seats in most aircooled engines should handle lpg just fine [especially with UCL] but I would like to hear that first hand from someone who has been running lpg for an extended period in a pinz that they have not had any valve/cyl head trouble. [are valves stellite or other?]
I have seen no change in oil temp or pressure since converting but I would not expect to, I would expect a slight temp increase in combustion chamber but the only way of knowing if temps are acceptable would be to install a sensor. I forget who but I did read in a forum [most likely this one] some time ago that an owner of 2 pinz's a 712 om617 converted and a 710 lpg converted had been using lpg 40000 km's no issues pretty sure he owns a pinz workshop and has fitted lpg to customers trucks also.
Any and all info appreciated,
cheers warren
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
boeing7873
Argentina

Re: lpg- cylinder head temps

Post by boeing7873 »

Ran on propane for about 400 hours.. after converting back to gas, it would not run well. Cause of the problem, compression 145-155-20-85. Put the propane carb back and ran ok (as usual on propane, at least not backfiring). Anyway, I will have to redo the heads...
I can't say the propane is the culprit of the head/valves issue.
Jerome
CRJ Driver
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The guy who has done some propane conversions (as well as diesel swaps) is the "Pinzmeister" who posts once it while - more it seems in the 716/718 section. He is located in the UK - Sheffield area.

Here is his website: www.pinzmeister-uk.com but it seems to be down when I just checked.

I would really love to see some photos of your conversion - how you are vaporizing the liquid propane to gas (an exhaust coupled heater seems to be common in Europe) and what you are using for the mixer (I think many in Europe are using "spuds" in the original carbs).

Please post a couple of pictures and some details as I have considered doing the same conversion on mine as I find the quality of gas has decreased in the last few years and doesn't store well which can be a problem for a infrequently used vehicle.

Thanks!
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

boeing7873 wrote:Ran on propane for about 400 hours.. after converting back to gas, it would not run well. Cause of the problem, compression 145-155-20-85. Put the propane carb back and ran ok (as usual on propane, at least not backfiring). Anyway, I will have to redo the heads...
I can't say the propane is the culprit of the head/valves issue.
Interesting that it runs at all on propane...

Have you checked your valves to see if they are properly adjusted? That would give poor compression readings - also could explain the backfiring on gasoline...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Warren

Post by Warren »

Haf-e.... I'm using water to heat my vaporizer, I'm heating it from my exhaust header. I fabricated a small stainless expansion tank and brazed a copper radiator cap neck to it. I'm using a very small electric booster pump (Davies Craig pt# 9001) to circulate the water. It has a brushless motor and is magnetic drive, I think it only draws 1.2 amp if I remember correctly. It pumps 4 gal/min@10 kpa, the whole water circuit is approx 800mls.
The mixer is an impco 200 (90°), and a model L vaporizer (also impco). I have kept all the original fuel system so its dual fuel not dedicated propane. I'm pretty sure there is a photo of my tank set up in the general discussion section, my introduction to the forum.
So far I'm very happy with the conversion I've had no problems at all with it. No freezing, cold start and drive. I've given up trying to post photos in the forum so if you want some pics pm me with an email address and I'll send you some.
Sorry for the delay in answering your questions I don't check my messages very often.
Cheers Warren
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ