Float level gauge

Engine troubles? Try here.
blackstack
United States of America

Float level gauge

Post by blackstack »

If you do a search for "float level" you get to links that show home made gauges. Page 70 of the repair manual shows a gauge in place. And this link viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6054&hilit=float shows pictures and talks about levels min and max.

My question is how do you determine the proper max and min levels? All comments, both at the link above and in the repair manual say the fuel level should coincide with the bottom edge of the measuring device. If i make me own device how do i determine the length of that side of the device?

Jim LaGuardia says he has instructions and pictures posted but I cant find them

Hope my question is clear !!

Thanks in advance

ps There is discussion on the link i gave about a Porsche gauge with conjecture about if it would work....nobody answered that question. anybody know?
berger
Canada

Re: Float level gauge

Post by berger »

If I am not mistaken, Gravity (fluid dynamics?) will tell you the appropriate level and the length of tube should not really matter....with reason of course. Just go by the carb size and make the gauge to reflect those dimensions when compared with the pics.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Jim's carb float gauge pictures are in the Carburetor gallery here: http://www.goatwerks.com/images.htm
His comments regarding proper float height are on the pics.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Thank you both for taking the time to reply and the help finding the link.

Berger (don't mean to sound rude) the reason I feel the dimension of the tool is important is that two landmarks on the tool are referenced to locate the proper fluid level in the tube, specifically the bottom of the clip and the bottom of the tool. The length of the tube, so long as it is 'long enough' is immaterial. If i make the tool myself, the length
of the tool and placement on the clip are important
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Sorry to clutter the board but I guess I am not being clear in my question......All the posts and the repair manual reference the tool to locate the proper range of the fuel level. That infers that the two points referenced are at specific specs...fine if you are using the OEM tool
but if you make your own you must be given the precise position of the clip and the precise length of the side of the tool on which the clip is fastened OR different land marks , say something on the body of the carb.

Maybe my anti-stupid pills aren't working.....I await being straightened out
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

viewtopic.php?t=4675
http://s277.photobucket.com/user/richar ... l.png.html
http://www.expedition-imports.com/c=1Da ... ning_info/

per the repair manual page 71
16.5mm +- 1mm

ti is also possible to remove the top of the carb and use the tail of a caliper to measure down from the top rim of the carb body to the gas level in the carb, using this method the accelerator pump must remain in position in the carb body.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

thank you Ed !!