engine misfire

Engine troubles? Try here.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: engine misfire

Post by Jimm391730 »

The solenoid must pull in to close the contacts to power the starter, so if it is spinning then the solenoid should be OK. However, the one way clutch that would allow the engine to spin faster when it starts (the "Bendix") has been known to fail; I had the same issue where the starter would whine but the engine wouldn't crank -- replacing the Bendix was the solution. When it fails, it isn't a one way clutch anymore, it is a "no way" clutch since it won't drive in the direction it should. You can't tell by feel since it seems right by finger pressure but it slips with real torque like trying to crank.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Kaweeka

Post by Kaweeka »

HawaiianGauer wrote:
McCall Pinz wrote:I wish I was working on your Pinz today instead of mine- we'll have a high of 29. This is actually balmy for Jan here, so I'm taking advantage of the warm weather!
Good reminder of how lucky I am to have nice wx year round! If it makes you feel any better, Uncle Sam will be moving us to Colorado in a few months...
Bummer - all this knowledge about leave for the mainland where there are already a bunch of wizards! On the bright side if you can't get it humming all you have to do is get to LinDen Engineering and see what Dennis can find. That and some high altitude jets . . . If I had to leave Hawaii you can bet Colorado would be at the top of the list!
Stuck in the bureaucratic spin cycle!
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

After checking compression, adjusting valves, and rebuilding cards to no end.. It ended up being a bad brand new spark plug. DOH!!
Tim
1975 710K
HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

so I replaced the starter - pretty easy, no drama. fired her up no problem! went for a nice little ride, knocked out an errand, got some gas, and on the way home, the clutch went out. :evil:
Mahalo for your assistance!

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

check out the X-Gauer in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYj_UNQDgpM
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Just a guess without a better description of “the clutch went out ”.

On the assumption that you pulled the slave cylinder for the clutch to facilitate the R&R of the starter that’s the first place I’d look. Possibly things just didn't get set correctly on reassembly.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

edzz wrote:Just a guess without a better description of “the clutch went out ”.

On the assumption that you pulled the slave cylinder for the clutch to facilitate the R&R of the starter that’s the first place I’d look. Possibly things just didn't get set correctly on reassembly.
Thanks for the feedback! I have been trying not to drift off the orig thread topic, which I already did with my starter comments...and now my clutch problem! I was really just whining out loud about the two...I mean, I finally made some no-kidding progress, while learning a ton in the process about timing, mixture, etc art work related to the whole engine sputtering/misfiring issues. Then the starter goes, which was not too big a deal work-wise, just annoying timing...and now the clutch! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyway...whining over! 8) Back to your point, I did not remove the slave cylinder when replacing the starter. I was able to get after that top nut using a crow's foot wrench and I think it was a 6" extension, which placed the ratchet in a place where I could actually turn it (albeit with a foot long piece of pipe I use for leverage...). Clutch is slipping big-time, so I'm pretty sure I need to replace at least the pressure plate & disc. Parts are on the way...more discovery learning as I have not touched a clutch in about 30yrs...

If anyone has any lessons learned, words of wisdom on getting after the clutch - I'd be HAPPY to take your advice! Probably best to PM me though!

x
Mahalo for your assistance!

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

check out the X-Gauer in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYj_UNQDgpM
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

words of wisdom on getting after the clutch
"get the throwout bearing and pilot bearing"
'76 710K