Float level gauge dimensions final appeal

Engine troubles? Try here.
blackstack
United States of America

Float level gauge dimensions final appeal

Post by blackstack »

Assuming A is the point to which the level in the tube must coincide to indicate the fuel in the bowl is at the appropriate level,
would someone who has a properly dimensioned tool give me the length indicated by the question mark on the attached drawing. That is, from the bottom of the horizontal leg to the bottom of the vertical leg

thank you and i promise i wont make any more posts on this topic
Attachments
finalappeal.jpg
finalappeal.jpg (299.99 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
krick3tt

Re: Float level gauge dimensions final appeal

Post by krick3tt »

:oops:
Last edited by krick3tt on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
spandit

Post by spandit »

--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
spandit

Post by spandit »

Ah, just realised you've edited my original drawing. The thickness of the metal was about 1mm - just take that off the vertical dimension, therefore 26.27mm - I think you'd be hard pushed to set the levels that accurately anyway
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Thanks Spandit!!!!!

You wouldn't believe how many different confusing replies and numbers I got to what I thought a very straightforward question.

Thanks again!
spandit

Post by spandit »

Glad to help. Should have measured that dimension when I had the original tool. In reality, you could stick a scale on the side and just make sure both carbs are at the same level.
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Apparently the responses you received, though confusing based on the straightforwardness of your question, I am sure would have more favorably
preferred a thank you as opposed to a deriding comment. Sometimes the apparent simplicity of a question can be interpreted many ways and those that
are sincerely trying to help may be less inclined to respond in the future.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

:shock: Honestly i thought you received many good responses. There are a number of methods to arrive at the same answer. Robin put together an excellent thread on the design and use of this tool. explaining that you don't understand an answer instead of just repeating the question may get better results in the future.

I kind of thought that this link http://www.precisionmatters.biz/zenith- ... -gauge.php answered the question rather well.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

First I apologize if I came across as ungrateful or derisive of any of the replies I rcvd . This forum has helped me immeasurably over the years.

In my defense..I was looking for one number. I recorded or did the calculations given in each response and never once did I get the same number. A perfect example are the responses from Spandit and from edzz

Spandit, who made one of the tools and presumably used it successfully, gives the number 26.27 mm. The drawing he did is very helpful.
edzz directed me to a commercial site that has a picture of the tool they sell and indicates that the proper measure is 1.05" . This converts to 26.67 mm
Maybe Maybe i was/am being a bit anal as my scribe cant make separate lines .4 mm apart :mrgreen:

They are several replies which result in radically different answers including the number 16.5 in the repair manual (i admit that one still confuses me) And there were replies that just confused me

Once I again I apologize for any perceived lack of appreciation on my part for the replies, all of which, I know were meant to be helpful
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

radically different answers including the number 16.5 in the repair manual
Since the gauge distance includes the gasket and the carb top thickness (because it bolts to the top of the carb top) it ends up being closer to the 1" or metric numbers you've seen; but IIRC the 16.5mm number in the manual is the distance from the top of the carb BOWL (from the top of the middle part of the carb) and does not include the thickness of the gasket and carb top. Other than miniscule differences I think you will ultimately realize that all the numbers you've seen here are correct if taken in the correct context.

Good luck!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Jimm391730 wrote:
radically different answers including the number 16.5 in the repair manual

Thanks!!
spandit

Post by spandit »

It's a shame that the levels can't be adjusted without taking the top off - wouldn't be difficult to fit a screw somewhere for a competent engineer?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

The adjustment is made by putting or removing shims under the shut off valve....so screw would not work
spandit

Post by spandit »

I know, but if the height of the valve could be altered by means of a screw that would aid things
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition