Exhaust removal tips?

Engine troubles? Try here.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Exhaust removal tips?

Post by McCall Pinz »

I'm about to deal with my exhaust leak at the cylinder head and was wondering if I should know anything special about pulling the header and replacing the muffler. It seems straightforward, but any tips would be appreciated.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Exhaust removal tips?

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If the nuts bind, heat them with a propane or mapp gas torch(they are brass). Avoid breaking off studs :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

I would only add that the liberal (that's a non-political use of the word) application of a penetrating oil the day before worked for me. I tried heat per Jim's advice, but ended up unscrewing the studs. Compared to breaking them off, this is much preferred.
When you replace the studs, wrap them in Teflon tape. For the next time. And while your in there you should consider installing the flex coupling from SAV. In my case it brought noticeable improvements.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
landy

Post by landy »

Regarding muffler replacement, I just replaced one on my 710 with one from EI. I sprayed all the bolts and nuts a few times over a few day period with PB Blaster prior to starting on the removal. It came off relatively easily. I found that the heat shield above the muffler had a small hole in it from rust.

Painted the muffler and heat shield with a high-temp paint. The new muffler is noticeable quieter and the truck seems to have more power - might just be imagining that, though!
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Thanks everyone. I have what I believe is an EI flex coupler installed already and an EI SS muffler ready to install. I sprayed the nuts and studs with WD40 (all I had laying around in the storage unit). The teflon wrap is only in case the studs thread out from the heads, right? Also, Has anyone built a new header for Pinz's? Seems like a lot of room for improvement there given the uneven runner lengths and 45 angle merges.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Yes, the tape is only if the studs thread out.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

McCall, since you have the flex couplers, you may not need to do this: make sure you push the heat exchanger assembly towards the front of the vehicle when tightening the bolt on top. I did not apply enough forward pressure and my couplers are now leaking. You dont want so much that they bind, but you want enough that they dont separate easily.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)