top end work comp., exhaust work time. I have Questions!

Engine troubles? Try here.
cowboy

top end work comp., exhaust work time. I have Questions!

Post by cowboy »

On my previous post, I was at the beginning of this project. A big thank you to Jim, blackstack, and a few others for the tech. start. the eng. fired up no problem, choke linkage alittle sticky, idle and fuel rates still will need the fine tuning that I require. Now my new inquiry is about exhaust back-pressure and the use of after market mufflers. I know that there needs to be a sweet spot with the back pressure to obtain good torque, i.e. something for the motor to push against. To little, not enough power in the pull, to much the motor cant breath well enough to produce the power needed to supply the brute torque need to pull.
the pinz came in to our shop because the exhaust had been hung and pulled down. it also ran like a turd, E.I. running on 2 1\2 cly. spitn. and poppen, comp under 90 on the frist 3. Our exhaust tech pulled the heat exchange and muffler down and fabricated a y-pipe with an after market muffler.
I did the eng work after this, and during the process i wanted to do some thing different with the exhaust and to re-install the heat exchange. On a side note i tolled him not to cut down what he installed util i get the eng. running, well he did. I tried guiding him to build the flex update. im going to scrap out all hes done, done a little re-engineering, and do the exhaust my way.
so i would like every ones input on all of this. sorry the details are alittle long. i like jims post on the new mufler he is working on, and a big thank you to everyone. I have pics and vids of the whole process on my facebook, ( hillsidehorse@gmail.com) would like to post them on here.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: top end work comp., exhaust work time. I have Questions!

Post by TechMOGogy »

Check out here (a great information site): http://madscientisthut.com/sdp-pin/html ... ement.html
Would like to see your photos but you did not give us your Facebook page.
Posting photos here is easy as long as they are not to big (smaller than 500kb I believe) and just use the Choose File and Add the File or you can upload to a site like Photobucket and just post the link.
Cheers,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I'd like to see the pics of the Y he fabbed. I was toying with a completely new exhaust system and did a lot of "paper" design, but have ended up fixing the existing one. The "paper" lengths and sizes for an optimal header don't work with the heat exchanger length too well.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
cowboy

Post by cowboy »

brian.l.moore2@facebook.com
the video and pics should be public
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Looks like you jumped in with both feet!
Good stuff
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
cowboy

Post by cowboy »

:D ive got pics that i will post of what he did and then what i fabericated and installed. i built the flex up grade based on the parts pic. these will be on my facebook sometime monday.
cowboy

Post by cowboy »

it will be tomorrow when i have the final pics and vids on my f/bk for this job. when i do ill try to get the hilights post to here.