Harmonic damper for Pinz?

Engine troubles? Try here.
GRCameron
United States of America

Harmonic damper for Pinz?

Post by GRCameron »

Just about every internal combustion engine in the world has some sort of harmonic damper on the crankshaft - except the Pinzgauer. They are applied to dampen torsional vibrations in the crank that increase bearing wear and can lead to failure over time.

Does anyone know why Steyr chose to ignore the damper? Has anyone attempted to fit an aftermarket unit - say one from Fluidampr?

I'm new to Pinzgauers and I just had to ask.

Thanks!
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
undysworld
Norway

Re: Harmonic damper for Pinz?

Post by undysworld »

GRCameron wrote:Does anyone know why Steyr chose to ignore the damper? Has anyone attempted to fit an aftermarket unit - say one from Fluidampr?!

From Wiki: Performance enthusiasts have been known to remove harmonic balancers, usually when the balancer is attached to the crank pulley, deciding that they aren't necessary and their mass reduces the performance of the engine. However, this is unproven and potentially very risky because the danger of damage to the engine from the vibrations the damper is intended to prevent is too high.

I'm willing to guess that they found that a harmonic balancer was unnecessary and/or impractical with the hp of the engine. I've never heard the topic raised here.
Profpinz
Australia

Re: Harmonic damper for Pinz?

Post by Profpinz »

Many years ago when I rebuilt my 712, I had the motor crank bore checked and all the parts fully balanced........ the guy at the company I used (a well known motor rebuilding company here in Victoria, Australia) said it was one of the best balanced factory standard motors he had ever seen.
Quite a testament to SDP's work in the 70's.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com