Big smoke, big oil mess, big problem! Advice/confirmation..

Engine troubles? Try here.
stiffler4444
Canada

Re: Big smoke, big oil mess, big problem! Advice/confirmati

Post by stiffler4444 »

on another side note, I ordered the civilian ignition kit from Scott yesterday...figured it was time......

Had the Pertronix installed when I bought it, but nothing else. This should smooth things out once it's running good again.
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

stiffler4444 wrote:on another side note, I ordered the civilian ignition kit from Scott yesterday...figured it was time......

Had the Pertronix installed when I bought it, but nothing else. This should smooth things out once it's running good again.

I am interested to see if your Petronix is installed "the wrong way," like mine was. No real issue when installing the civi kit though.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I am interested to see if your Petronix is installed "the wrong way," like mine was. No real issue when installing the civi kit though.[/quote]

How did you realize it was wrong? I'm curious, might wanna check mine....

tx Dave
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

stiffler4444 wrote:I am interested to see if your Petronix is installed "the wrong way," like mine was. No real issue when installing the civi kit though.
How did you realize it was wrong? I'm curious, might wanna check mine....

tx Dave
Something to do with the red wire. Scott advised me. Not ideal, but functions fine. PC new what THEY were doing I guess....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Good to know. Thanks Berger.
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Got my new air filter today from Trupart.com. Fram CA 3105, will throw that in tonight ahead of tearing into the spark plugs and whatnot this weekend. Terrible time of year to be down..... :(
1972 710m
pinzton

Post by pinzton »

[Moved the previous post here - as per suggestion to it's own 'new' thread: Big white smoke , all RPMs.... Advice? ]

I might be in a similar situation; all advice appreciated. Context:
- I bought a 712m after it's engine was rebuilt 3 years ago; it had perhaps 500 miles since then
- Drove it 20 miles, then HUGE white smoke coming out of exhaust at all RPMs
- Oil level was SUPER low; I refilled it. It keeps it since then (but not driving much except for trial if it's still blowing white)

To check what's going on, this is what I did...

....continues in thread: ]Big white smoke , all RPMs.... Advice?
Last edited by pinzton on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

When oil is sucked up into the intake, it reaches the rear carb first, so I suspect that's what's happening and why you see it in the 3&4 cyl's only - it hasn't reached the front carb yet. I suspect that if you remove the airbox, it will have oil in it.

The truck can inhale and burn a lot of oil rapidly, if the intake is blocked or restricted.
pinzton

Post by pinzton »

Thanks Undysworld, I'll check the air intakes - and will update my findings here :)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

pinzton wrote:Thanks Undysworld, I'll check the air intakes - and will update my findings here :)
Perhaps a new thread to update? Kinda a highjack when someone posts about an issue they are having and another, perhaps similar or different issue, interrupts the OP and muddies the water. Just saying .

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

Perhaps this could be tried as a diagnostic...

Remove the ventilation hose (p/n 900.0916/07). and cap the inlet nipple to the air intake where the hose was. Leave the hose fitting on the oil fill pipe open or route it away from the engine through a long hose. This ventilates the crankcase to atmosphere and precludes any oil making it into the engine through the carbs. Run it for awhile and see if the white smoke clouds go away. A few hours of crankcase emissions making it to the atmosphere will not cause major trauma to the environment.

(My '06 Dodge Cummins has a factory road draft tube...)
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

GRCameron wrote:Perhaps this could be tried as a diagnostic...

Remove the ventilation hose (p/n 900.0916/07). and cap the inlet nipple to the air intake where the hose was. Leave the hose fitting on the oil fill pipe open or route it away from the engine through a long hose. This ventilates the crankcase to atmosphere and precludes any oil making it into the engine through the carbs. Run it for awhile and see if the white smoke clouds go away. A few hours of crankcase emissions making it to the atmosphere will not cause major trauma to the environment.

(My '06 Dodge Cummins has a factory road draft tube...)
Interesting....... :idea:
1972 710m
pinzton

Post by pinzton »

berger wrote:
pinzton wrote:Thanks Undysworld, I'll check the air intakes - and will update my findings here :)
Perhaps a new thread to update? Kinda a highjack when someone posts about an issue they are having and another, perhaps similar or different issue, interrupts the OP and muddies the water. Just saying .

Ok, will do :)
(note: I'm new to the forum, so happy for all posting advice. I posted here, because I thought it's a similar issue and the previous post can profit from the answers as well)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Check 3 things in this order, (1) with air box off carbs, look down rear carb throats wile running, if it drips, the the float valve is not seating. Excess fuel washes out the rings. next steps require tear down, (2) check for out of round cylinder, cylinder scored, fractured piston, rings not seating. (3) very bad valve guides
stock ring gap is .5mm-1mm
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:Check 3 things in this order, (1) with air box off carbs, look down rear carb throats wile running, if it drips, the the float valve is not seating. Excess fuel washes out the rings. next steps require tear down, (2) check for out of round cylinder, cylinder scored, fractured piston, rings not seating. (3) very bad valve guides
stock ring gap is .5mm-1mm
Thanks Jim. Hope to remove the air box and get into it Friday after work.
1972 710m