Should I build back to Zenith from Weber carburator?

Engine troubles? Try here.
pinzton

Should I build back to Zenith from Weber carburator?

Post by pinzton »

I recently purchased a Pinz 712M that had a complete engine rebuild, upgraded from 2.5L to 2.7L and 2 Weber carburetors 36DC NVA 18 (instead of the Zenith).

I'm not sure, if that's a good thing to have Webers on the Pinz; so I'm on the fence what I should do:

a- build this back to the Zenith Carburetors
b - leave it as is
...or c- take a leap, and go for EFI.

What's your opinion how best to use the $ on the Pinz?
Attachments
Back Weber 36DC NVA 18
Back Weber 36DC NVA 18
Weber 36DC NVA 18 - back.jpg (773.83 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
Front Weber 36DC NVA 18
Front Weber 36DC NVA 18
Weber 36DC NVA 18 - front.jpg (981.54 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
undysworld
Norway

Re: Should I build back to Zenith from Weber carburator?

Post by undysworld »

How does it perform? If there are no problems, I'd leave it alone unless you just want to restore it to original. If there are problems with it, then EFI might be your best bet.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

How are you going to do EFI?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

Quoted from the 710/712 Service Manual - Section AA (engine) pg. 58, General Remarks:

"The Zenith carburettor 36 NDIX is a cross-country double downdraft carburettor with 2 intake ports of 36 mm bore. It has a central air entry and is sealed against water and dust. Due to two float chambers and to the two floaters the fuel supply to the engine is safeguarded even in off-the-road operation."

The final sentence reveals the difference between the Zenith and the Weber. What works going down the road doesn't necessarily work all that well on a 70% grade.

Your wallet will probably make the decision for you...
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

You look to be missing a few screws ....(I mean on your carb flanges don't take offense)I can't see it running great I think you'd be sucking and blowing on the less than sealed flange. Fix that and if runs good wait until you carbs aren't treating you well.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
pinzton

Post by pinzton »

Thanks to all the replies. Context for my question:
- The car had some engine issues (the piston 3&4 went bad after car was sitting for long time after a rebuild). It's getting fixed now. But meanwhile I was wondering if the Weber carbs were an additional 'wild card' that I would want to eliminate before it potentially contributes to more problems.

@GRCameron: Agree, and everyone I talked to is not happy about the Weber. I'll have to watch it in off road situations, until I replace them.

@Mopar: You're right. Curiously enough, one screws was missing on each carb each (not sure if by design / mistake / or due to vibrations)

@undysworld, TechMogy: You have experience with EFI ? I'm new to it - but thought to do this instead if I have to spend $ (vs. simply going back to Zenith)
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

If one has a proper running Pinzgauer with the original carburetors I personally would have a hard time finding justification to "upgrade" to fuel injection, to repeat personal opinion here.

If however someone has a Pinzgauer with carburetors that are in unrestorable condition or have been replaced with carburetors that are unsuited to the Pinzgauer I would seriously consider changing to one of the proven fuel injection systems. From what I've seen of your current setup the price to return it to stock may very well be about the same as converting to fuel injection.

In light of all this my vote would be to contact Jim L. and see what he would recommend.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

pinzton wrote:@undysworld, TechMogy: You have experience with EFI ? I'm new to it - but thought to do this instead if I have to spend $ (vs. simply going back to Zenith)
No, I've got the orig. carbs. But others here have written of their positive experiences with EFI, and even buying replacement carbs would be a fair amt. of money. I'm just of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp in general. If/when you do have problems with your setup, EFI might be your best bang for buck. Of course, if you are going for "original", then the Zeniths would make the most sense.

I also agree that Jim L. would be a fine source of info on EFI.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I only mentioned it as I got Jim's last EFI kit :shock:
So if you wanted to go EFI and were thinking of using Jim then he would have to have more fabricated and I am not sure he is interested in doing that as it took him ~10 years to go through the handful of kits?
However - best to ask Jim that directly so that I am not speaking for him!
Cheers,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker