Fan alternatives?

Engine troubles? Try here.
pinzinator

Re: Fan alternatives?

Post by pinzinator »

New fans cost between $500 and $600, both here in the USA and in Europe. Over there the fan is called a "blower wheel".
I doubt you could rig and alternative method for that price that would cool the engine as designed, IMO.
spandit

Post by spandit »

I've never heard it called a blower wheel!

You guys be crazeeee... ;)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

"IF" i broke my fan And it wasn't prime Pinzing season (winter) i'd probably look into Stereolithing myself a fan. I'm sure i could do it with Much better mat'l like Torlon. But thats because i have access to Faro arms, software for reverse engineering & fluid dynamics. It would be interesting. If I lost one in the summer... $500+fedex. My cost to have one rapid proto'd if i had the model would be over$1000 for just machine time & the material. fwiw Autocraft Engines run 360-380hp aircooled VW (alcohol) without a fan, fins, or shrouds.
'76 710K
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Post by nicholastanguma »

Stekay wrote:"IF" i broke my fan And it wasn't prime Pinzing season (winter) i'd probably look into Stereolithing myself a fan. I'm sure i could do it with Much better mat'l like Torlon. But thats because i have access to Faro arms, software for reverse engineering & fluid dynamics. It would be interesting. If I lost one in the summer... $500+fedex. My cost to have one rapid proto'd if i had the model would be over$1000 for just machine time & the material. fwiw Autocraft Engines run 360-380hp aircooled VW (alcohol) without a fan, fins, or shrouds.

Stereolithing? Torlon? Faro arms?
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

So, here's what Stekay is talking about -

Stereolithing = stereolithography - "printing" a part, layer by layer, in an expensive machine controlled by sophisticated software. The printed part is created from a photo curable liquid resin that solidifies upon exposure to the printer's ultraviolet laser.

Torlon = a polyamide-imide thermoplastic molding resin (solid) with excellent strength and temperature properties. Torlon resins strengthened with glass or carbon fiber (30%) have tensile strengths of roughly 32,000 psi - really high for a plastic and better than some aluminum casting alloys. Good stuff!

http://www.solvayplastics.com/sites/sol ... ide_EN.pdf

Faro arm = a coordinate measuring machine with 6-7 joints like a human factor robot arm (waist, shoulder, elbow, forearm rotation, wrist, tool rotation, translation). The rotation of each joints is measured by precision encoder and interpreted through a Denavit-Hartenburg matrix (fancy mathematical model that describes each element of the arm) to give an output that represents a physical point in 3-D space. Distance from point to point is measurement with accuracy better than .0025" depending upon the size of the arm. A number of different contacting or non-contacting probes can be fitted to the end of the arm. The Faro arm is used for inspection purposes and for creating cloud of point data sets from existing parts (Pinz fan) that can be interpreted by the stereolithography machine software to "print" a replica of the measured part that can be used as a pattern master for injection molding.

http://www.faro.com/products/metrology/ ... rview#main

Stereolithography technology is advancing and I am not aware you could directly print Torlon into a part, but my last exposure to this was more than a decade ago - ancient history.

BTW, Autocraft Engines has an air cooling kit for street applications.

http://www.autocraftengines.com/components.html Scroll down the page...
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe