Engine stalled, now won't start

Engine troubles? Try here.
redruf
United States of America

Engine stalled, now won't start

Post by redruf »

Hi guys, need your assistance. I have an 83 710k that came with electronic ignition. I was stopped at a traffic light getting ready to make a left turn when the Pinz just stalled out. Could not get it to restart. The engine cranks and I smell the gas but, just won't start up again. A friend just happen to drive by and towed me back to my house.

I removed the wire that came from the ignition coil to the distributor and noticed that the distributor cap was damaged. The wire was burned also. So I decided that the best thing to do is to replace the ignition coil, wire from the coil to the distributor cap, the distributor cap and, the rotor. Still won't start. I took of the wire that went from the coil to the distributor and cranked the engine, no spark.

Any ideas?

Could the electronic ignition be burned out?
Andre
United States of America

Re: Engine stalled, now won't start

Post by Andre »

yes. If you didn't check the output voltage of the charging system to ensure it didn't exceed 27 volts, you could have fried your petronix.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

I had a Petronix go bad on me very early on (10 years ago) when I first had my truck. If you pull the distributor cap you will see the unit nestled inside. Mine had charred wires coming out of it. At the time, we thought water may have gotten to it. It was easy to replace. I just copied the original installation. And I have not had problems since.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
redruf
United States of America

Post by redruf »

Thanks Andre, Thanks Buzz. So what is the first thing that I should change? Voltage regulator? How do I check the alternator if the engine is not running?
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I can say that my Pinzgauer's voltage goes over 27 volts when running... can't imagine that is the most the pertronix can tolerate???

You can disconnect wire to the alternator temporarily and get the truck running first - then reconnect the alternator and carefully watch the battery voltage while its running - if the voltage gets too high then kill the engine. Replacement OEM voltage regulators are pretty reasonable actually and its not bad to have a spare around in case.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

With the ignition switch on do you have voltage to the coil? If not, it's possible your 4500 rpm module went bad and is cutting off power. The module can be disconnected and then jumper the center 2 terminals of the plug that was connected to it.

Take a look at this thread for some more ideas: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9079&hilit=4500+module
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
redruf
United States of America

Post by redruf »

Thanks Paul, Thanks Haf-e. Definitely will give those suggestions a shot over the weekend.
redruf
United States of America

Post by redruf »

Ok, just replaced the voltage regulator, still no spark from the ignition coil. Where is the 4500 rpm limiter located?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

4500rpm module photos are here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9624

The module is a black plastic box mounted to the front sheet metal. The electrical plug is on the right (passenger) side. You'll need 2 male spade terminals and a short piece of wire to make the jumper to insert into the center 2 terminals of the plug. Sorry but I don't have a photo of that.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
redruf
United States of America

Post by redruf »

Thanks, I'm going to check it out right now.....
redruf
United States of America

Post by redruf »

Ok, did the bypass for the RPM module, still no spark from the ignition coil, motor cranks, I smell the gas but no ignition. Replaced the Voltage regulator, rotor, ignition coil, and the distributor cap. I just received the PinzSSI. Before I replace the electronic ignition, is there anything else I should be looking at?
idstitch

Post by idstitch »

My guess? Sounds like it lost the timing, mechanically. Check for a loose distributor. Then just install the PinzSSI and be done with it.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

When you install the new ignition module, make sure that it goes all the way into the block and seats correctly. The disc will turn if you have it in all the way. Once you have everything else installed you can kiss all your ignition problems goodbye!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

...motor cranks, I smell the gas but no ignition.
I think you've answered your own question -- you need to understand why you don't have spark. If it is due to a lack of power then the SSI won't help if it attempts to get power from the same place. Do you get voltage to the coil "+" terminal? I would expect between 16-24V when not running and the key is on, depending on (if you have points) whether they are open (24V) or closed (~17V). If you get this reading then your problem is with the points/Pertronix, or high voltage from the coil/distributor cap/plug wires. If you get low or no voltage at the coil + then the problem is probably at the dash -- circuit breaker, ignition switch, ballast resistor, RPM box (you've jumpered the middle terminal of each row together on the disconnected plug), or wiring.

For electrical problems, divide and conquer.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

The PinzSSI ignition system bypasses everything (ballast resister, RPM limiter, breakers). As long as there is voltage at switch wire (at coil), it will run. The ignition key only closes a relay, and that is easy to troubleshoot and/or verify voltage. The system gets it power directly from one battery, so as long as the battery is good the system will fire.