Spring Time lets keep them running

Engine troubles? Try here.
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Re: Spring Time lets keep them running

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Only the engine was bad, truck just needed another. Truck us back up and running with another used engine.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

I was speaking to a friend about this issue and he was curious to know how hard it is to get a replacement engine, should something catastrophic happen. He seemed to think a bearing would be more likely to go out than rings or other things.

I know Jim had said transmissions were hard to source, so can't imagine a whole engine would be much easier.

Is there an aftermarket drop in replacement that would work, anyone ever try?

Just more out of curiosity than anything.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Most of the engine parts seem to be available - the bottom end of the engine seems to be very reliable (assuming you keep clean oil in it) and the piston/rings are available aftermarket.

No real other engine options out there - although some decent swaps have been done with Mercedes diesels - although its far from a "drop-in" replacement and the Mercedes engines used are not easy to find in the USA. Also adds a lot of weight in the front as the stock air cooled engine is comparably light.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Engine failures on Pinzgauer's most of the time are not catastrophic. Usually rings, a piston or a cylinder. Only see the catastrophic failures (case ruptures) when the engines are run out of oil, excessively run at speed or someone not familiar with rebuilding engines tries a shade tree mechanic fix. Piston's, cylinders and heads while not cheap are not as bad as a case ruptures. One of the reason's we posted this string was to make people aware of just doing some basic maintenance can save you money. Air cooled engines use oil, just a fact of life. Even the 2008 Yukon in the fleet needs to have oil added between oil changes but has a nice idiot light to remind the operator.

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, California
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have had lots of VW air cooled vehicles so I do understand Scott's warning about oil levels.
I was using Pennzoil SAE 30 for years in the pinz and after reading many posts about oil I have changed to Castrol GTX 20/50. The SAE 30 used to leak a lot and burn oil between changes but the 20/50 does not leave drips in my garage pickup pan and the level does not fluctuate as much anymore. Not sure why but I accept it as a fortunate turn of events and will continue to use it even if the price is much higher. The pinz is worth it.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

So keeping with this theme of maintenance and oil
Scott you mentioned speed (many times) and there are many threads that vary by large margins
What is the recommended top speed and thoughts on duration?
Yes, I know tires size makes a difference but adding 1" taller tires is not going to magically solve all problems.
We all know people that drive their Pinz 100's and sometimes 1000's of miles to go on adventures - are they stopping every hour to check hub temps or is it more like stopping twice a day?
This obviously also assumes starting with a well maintained and running Pinz
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Good investment to make is a VDO oil Temp.
and a pressure gauge. Don't like idiot lights.
Give me piece of mind seeing the readings in
proper zone.
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Don't want to get dragged into a speed debate and Pinzgauers but I base my opinion on what we see come through the shop. Vehicles with portal axles are not made for speed. Design window for Unimogs and Pinzgauers is convoy speed. With some tire adjustments you can move that speed up a little. So 710's in the 55-60 mph and 712's in the 50-55 mph. You can do "speed" bursts to take a run at a hill or "passing" but this is what we recommend. Each truck is different and listening to harmonics really tells you the story. Call us the Pinzgauer Whisperer if you like but depending on tires and the condition of the truck different trucks like different speeds but usually within 3-4 mph of each other.

It is an endless discussion with buyers about speed. All I can say is the owners who talked up driving 70 mph both ways (100 miles) up hill through traffic on the way to school don't usually keep their trucks very long. We have seen many transmission's come through with a nice shade of blue on the transmission gears. Sometimes because of a stop by the local commercial oil change shop and not understanding how to fill the transmission correctly. Other times from driving too fast and wrong oil. Speed kiills Unimog transmissions faster than anything. In a Pinzgauer speed is more of a issue with engine life due to the rev's. The pistons on a Pinzgauer are pretty big. If you are really in tune with truck humidity and temperature even will impact how fast a truck is driven.

The most important thing to remember is if you are in a hurry don't be caught driving a Pinzgauer or Unimog. I could be wrong, I just sell parts used to put them back together.

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, California
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Not sure how others do this time and distance thing but I am the slowest one in any of my off road groups. When we plan a trip, like the one coming up to Moab, I leave a day earlier than anyone else and plan to meet at a trail head. That gives me two days to get as far as the others do in a day or less. It is a constant source of amusement and humor that when they are talking hours...I'm talking days.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Comes down to maintenance. We see both sides of the story. Driven only on Sunday types of trucks that have carb and seal problems from sitting. Also trucks driven at highway speed for extended periods of time but the owner is on top of maintenance and when in doubt changes the oil, monitors fluid levels, adjust valves, etc, etc. Higher speed with more maintenance will minimize problems but not eliminate them. Then again the recent blown engine rarely saw anything but off road driving at low speed which has its own problem with dirt and no one checking the oil.

Common sense will save you money on these units and I want people to be aware a little goes a long way. With modern cars these days people are so use to driving and just doing nothing but oil changes 6,000-10,000 miles they just forget how it use to be. Spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap changes where common.

Cheers,

Scott
Last edited by ExpeditionImports on Wed May 13, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vallejo, California
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

My Pinz seems to be like my 53 year old Land Rover. Check the oil before driving and after lunch break. Think tractor and treat it accordingly and they are very happy. As the old adage goes, oil is cheaper than parts!
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

My truck came with a VDO oil temp gauge, but it never moved, which I though weird. After tracing wires, hooking everything that was not hooked up, and grounding the thing, it seems to be working. I am going to be testing this next time I am out for distance, but it makes me feel better that I can monitor oil temp in real time. Would suggest this modification for any of these trucks.

Was thinking about some of those glue on fabric type temp gauges for hubs and diffs, but then that means some sort of monitoring device/computer... Lost interest at that point, but I guess could be done by someone with a little more tech savy than I have. Just a thought.