Valve Stem Seal Replacement

Engine troubles? Try here.
steckmeyer
United States of America

Valve Stem Seal Replacement

Post by steckmeyer »

After driving my new (to me) 710 for 1200 miles I've concluded it at least needs valve stem seals. Either it does not have them or they are worn out. In either case I have the same task. Now I have searched the threads on this wonderful forum and am confused. Mr. LaGuardia states "the tiny spring compressors won't work" and that you have to take the heads off and use a C compressor. Normally that would be the end of discussion for me except that I really don't want to pull the heads right now and others have alluded to replacing valve stem seals using the tiny spring compressor but have not fully disclosed their process.

So I'd like to know if anyone has actually replaced the seals with the head on and how they compressed the spring.

Thank you and if you live in the USA have a very nice Memorial Day weekend.
63rover
Canada

Re: Valve Stem Seal Replacement

Post by 63rover »

Just an aside to your plans to consider

Air cooled engines of this era, including my BMW, often rely on the oil which seeps down the valve guides to help to keep them well lubricated, avoid heating, expansion, sticking and possibly worse. Engines of this type and vintage do use oil and are not an environmentalist's dream. I opt to check the oil every day before setting out and at lunch on a full day. I'm not saying it will fail with seals but it works fine without them. You choose. I feed mine.

After all, Oil is cheaper than parts.

Cheers, Clive
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I am a bit suspicious of my valve seals as well. I think they may be part of the solution to my extreme-stench-on-engine-braking. I might try thicker oil next time and see if it helps. Fresh oil seems too.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

I have the best luck with 15w40 Rotella and Lucas additive.

As for the stench, no cat in the exhaust = smellier exhaust. Imagine what the city streets smelt like in the 60s and early 70's! No one needed to do any more than breath deeply to get high. 8)
idstitch

Post by idstitch »

63rover wrote:I have the best luck with 15w40 Rotella and Lucas additive.

As for the stench, no cat in the exhaust = smellier exhaust. Imagine what the city streets smelt like in the 60s and early 70's! No one needed to do any more than breath deeply to get high. 8)
Or......anyone else remember the smell when you pumped real gas ?
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" Takes you back...

For me it's diesel smoke and memories of farming and old Land Rovers.