High idle

Engine troubles? Try here.
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: High idle

Post by David Dunn »

Just to clarify things, the Pinz's carbs do not have chokes. They have fuel enrichment ports, though they accomplish the same thing in the end, but without the infinite variability of a choke, they have 3 positions for fuel to pass through. position #1 blocking the port, and 2 more positions that progressively allow more fuel to pass through.
The carb section of the manual describe this and has drawings... I know how yall love pictures. :lol:

My standard disclaimer: It has been more that 13 years since I had a gas Pinz, and have slept at least once since then, so some details may be fuzzy. :roll:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
mikel

Post by mikel »

Hey guys I added a shim/washer to needle and seat just to see what happened and mainly because when I opened the carbs sitting on the truck they had emptied themselves into the intakes. Started the truck and the idle started coming down until it died! yeah! NO. The float bowls were empty again. The needle and seat was being held closed.
Now my question is does anyone know where I can look at a picture of a carb with the top off to see if the floats had previously been installed wrong? they almost seem to be hitting the interior walls when I try to lift them and now I concerned that they have been swapped-upside down or something.
But it's progress, the idle changed so I have hope and It sure wouldn't be the first time I got screwed by someone taking something apart and putting it back together wrong.
Thanks to all for the continuing help.
Mikel
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Thank you Jim! :D
mikel

Post by mikel »

Hey Guys, Since I didn't have the correct measuring tube thingy to check the floats I had to ad lib measuring depth of seat ETC.
Apparently new floats had been installed and whom ever did them didn't have the correct tools either because the tops of the floats were hitting the top of the carb body and not closing the needle and seat. After adjusting the floats to give them enough room to actually close the seat all the flooding problems stopped and even though it still runs at a higher than normal idle I could actually adjust the air/fuel and can drive it without having to fight it.
Thanks for all the help.
Mikel
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

The correct way to adjust the float is to add/remove washers to change the distance of the needle valve from the carb body. This change in distance varies in multiples of 4. Example- adding a .5 mm washer lowers the float 2 mm. Removing a 1 mm washer raises the float 4 mm. Etc.

I have some spare washers just for this. PM me if you need any.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Thanks Pinzinator,
I had tried to adjust floats with spacers before ( I found several in the parts baggie in the truck) I only added one to the two that were already there and it pinned the floats to the bottom not allowing any fuel into the carbs and leaving a small dent in the tab between the floats. Now with them adjusted (bent) so they are not hitting the inside of the top plate I was able to remove one of the original shims and float level seems very close to correct.
I have never removed the top of carbs so many times in my life just to check the float levels. I did replace the needle and seats since I had smashed them with the ones I found in the baggie-o-parts. Now the truck will do burns outs but what's strange about that is it will spin the fronts one time and the rears the next, I have not moved of the shift levers , besides the main one but I thought it was all wheel drive all the time?
The owner seemed very happy so I don't get to play with it anymore but would have really liked to take it out and do some real four wheeling for once.
Thanks again to everyone for the help the truck really seems like it would be a blast to play with.
Mikel
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

"The owner seemed very happy so I don't get to play with it anymore " -UNBELIEVABLE!

So we helped to solve the problems for a "mechanic" who sounds like he has no business charging some poor sucker to try to fix something he doesn't even understand! :roll:

No wonder we have so many people asking who can reliably work of these trucks.

Best advice: Unless you know for certain the mechanic knows older tech stick to the tractor dealers. At least they know how carburetors work!

HOPE HE MAKES A DONATION TO THE FORUM FOR COMMISSION ON OUR WORK!
mikel

Post by mikel »

I never hid I was a "mechanic" sorry that offends you, as far as charging for it the owner is a good customer of mine and has taken it to several people who have said they "knew" how to work on it and I told him I would look at it for him, as a favor.
I am a mechanic and a damn good one with over thirty years experience and was unaware this forum was for do it yourselfers only.
I have become a fan of these trucks either way and I still thank everyone for their thoughts about the problems it was having.
Mikel
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Your comments about the shift levers and and not understanding the 4x4 function are telling.

Many times mechanics have asked for help and gotten answers. No you didn't hide the fact it isn't your truck however if you look at your first post in this thread the implication most would take from "I've got a 71 pinz that idles around 3000 rpm's" is that your the owner not the owners mechanic.

The questions you asked also made you sound more like a hobbyist rather than a "mechanic and a damn good one with over thirty years experience".

Most of us aren't opposed to helping out a mechanic however many of us sort of expect a mechanic would seek out the manuals.

IMHO it's unfortunate how few mechanics now days have a better understanding of carburetors than I do.

If any of this offends you... whatever.

For future reference you really should add your location to your profile. Not that it really matters.

Dam I'm getting old and cranky. :P
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
mikel

Post by mikel »

WOW, because I am not familiar with a pinz I'm an idiot and incompetent. Considering I have only seen ONE and still was able to fix the problem, and a odd problem to say the least, should give some indication about my skill level. I didn't seek a manual because it was possibly only going to be one time working on it, now guaranteed, and it was a favor and I don't have the money to waste on buying a manual. I am a member of several forums and often give assistance as well as accept it and this is the only one that has ever had a problem with a tech being on line.
I apologize again for not admitting my sin of being a tech and that I am apparently to incompetent to even ask a question from the great minds here and assure you I wont be returning to this forum, which is a shame, I always find it interesting to visit with others who share the same interest in mechanical things as I do.
Mikel
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

You are likely a great mechanic in the age of ask the computer and replace the part. Trouble shooting is an art which takes general knowledge and years of experience. Setting up a carb is rudimentary in the old school and a task for a supervised apprentice.

You may have a love for mechanical things but those funny little things called manuals inform the mechanic, licenced or otherwise, as well as the operator so that "I did replace the needle and seats since I had smashed them" doesn't happen. They also prevent abuse of other's vehicle with stunts like, "Now the truck will do burns outs". We all know who isn't paying for these tires!

Personally I would be embarrassed by such behaviour and gaps in my skill and stop putting my foot in my mouth, but each to his own tastes!
mikel

Post by mikel »

HA HA HA, you are a funny guy, you immediately assume I was doing the burnouts, I was with the owner every time the truck went out and he was the one doing the burnouts so why don't you just drop it you obviously like to argue about things you don't know anything about and I don't have the time for your childishness. I have already asked to be removed from your precious forum so you got your way and I hope you feel good about it. I have been working on cars long before computers and it sounds like you are the one that's incapable to accept or understand new tech because it seems you only know how to talk about older tech, sorry there are schools where they can try to teach you about the "new" tech.
I have tried to be ...patient with your attitude and insults so just drop it.
Mikel
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Alright.
Enough, please.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
idstitch

Post by idstitch »

cascade.king wrote:Alright.