Loose fan shroud

Engine troubles? Try here.
Boelt63A
United States of America

Loose fan shroud

Post by Boelt63A »

I am having trouble figuring out why the fan shroud is loose on my 712.

I was missing a 13mm nut on the bottom of the shroud and I replaced that without any change in the "wiggle" Come to find that the 8mmx90mm bolt by the distributor was loose and wouldn't tighten no matter what. it just spins and spins. In looking at all the exploded diagrams I can't figure out what it threads into and I really don't want to remove the fan shroud to find out!!

Any help would be appreciated.
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Loose fan shroud

Post by pcolette »

If the loose bolt you're referring to is item #01-20-08, it's actually supposed to be 100mm long according to the parts book. Is it possible that part of it snapped off?
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I recently removed the shroud and discovered that the reason one of the bolts (at the hose from the brake area) would not unscrew is that the 'nut' was tacked to the shroud and had come loose, so it would just spin.
Had to fab up a new nut and bolt situation and then tighten the hose clamp with another nut.

Always an interesting time working on this vehicle. It's 42 years old and still gives me pause to drink a beer and wonder 'how am I going to fix that', and still keep it fairly stock looking.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Boelt63A
United States of America

Post by Boelt63A »

Paul. the bolt may be 100mm long. I took a quick measure. I did have to clean the end up with a die as the threads were very rough, but I don't think anything snapped off.
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel