Black soot on startup only

Engine troubles? Try here.
bikmakr
United States of America

Black soot on startup only

Post by bikmakr »

I have been blasting black soot from the tail-pipe every time I start the engine. Engine cold starts with a few accelerator pumps or of course with the choke. Runs great with no other problems. Plugs all have light brown color with no indication of rich condition. Timing
has been set to spec and visual inspection of the carbs don't indicate anything wrong. Chokes physically return to off position. I thought
it was just exhaust pipe condensation but is stains the pavement even after only cooling down an hour. Compression is 145psi +/- 5 psi
all cylinders. I am noticing a lot of silvery goo around where the intake plenum meets the carburetors, probably from the crankcase breather. Is this normal? Any thoughts as to where to look next?

Thanks
pinzinator

Re: Black soot on startup only

Post by pinzinator »

I get that, too, but not every time I start the Pinz. I am not sure what causes it, instead I just chock it up to the charm of owning one of these unique machines. At least it cleans up easy on metal, but stains wood due to the oil content.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I used to have that as well, not so much any more. My wife loved it when I started up, tail pipe directed at the side of her white Honda Civic!
1972 710m
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

It's a 40 year old carbureted military truck?
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Mine belches white smoke, I think condensation builds up.
Not every start, no correlation to temp or time from last run. very curious, but as we say it is a 42 year old military vehicle and it has charm.

When I drive and someone pulls up next to me or gives me thumbs up as they drive by it all fades away.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford