Catalytic converter and stench

Engine troubles? Try here.
undysworld
Norway

Re: Catalytic converter and stench

Post by undysworld »

Could it help to reroute the exhaust to exit rear of the vehicle, but with the cat inline too? (Forgive me if I've misunderstood it to still be a side-exit exhaust.)
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

looking at the dimensions of the cat, it could fit in between the exhaust manifold and the heat exchanger, but in this setup you would need two cat modules....

can you please tell us the source of your catalyst
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Hotzenplotz wrote:looking at the dimensions of the cat, it could fit in between the exhaust manifold and the heat exchanger, but in this setup you would need two cat modules....

can you please tell us the source of your catalyst

I don't know much about catalytic converters. That said would putting the cat upstream of the heat exchanger possibly have an adverse effect on the heat exchangers function / longevity?
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

The catalytic converter is a Walker 93271 http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/ep ... okup/93271

This is a three-way converter with a limited ability to store and release oxygen. The catalyst material itself is only about 4" long but the whole thing is just short of 8". I think it could go in front of the heater but I would have to shift the heater and muffler back and scrounge up every inch I can get. There has to Be a flex piece between the engine and the first rigidly mounted piece and a way for everything to expand asit gets hot.

I think moving it to this location would help, but I also think that the fuel mixture control is too inaccurate for this catalyst. I think I would be better off with a "two block"design with an air tube. The problem with these is that they are longer, maybe 10", and need a source of air. The good thing is that they work well with hydrocarbon emissions without having to lean out the mixture. Maybe a regular two-way catalyst with a air tubewould be a good compromise. Not sure where I could get air. Maybe some sort of educator.

The reason I did not want to go with the Pinz SSI first is that I want to run on the Dyno again begore I switch it out. Since I last ran it I have rebuilt the carbs, set the valves and cleaned up the Petronix ignition system. I want to have a good baseline to see what changes the Pinz SSI makes compared to a fully tuned stock system. The catalytic converter is just held on by a clamp. When I Dyno it again I am going to try with and without the cat then change to the pinz SSI and try again.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect