Gear Selector Shaft - Removal and Replace

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
SwissArmyToy

Gear Selector Shaft - Removal and Replace

Post by SwissArmyToy »

Group,

Does anybody have any experience in replacing this part? Mine has developed stress cracks in the "bent portion" and before I attempt to replace, I just want to see if there any tips/tricks to this procedure. Upon inspection, the front attachment point is a joint pin with a hollow slotted pin going thru it. I can't quite figure out the best way to pop the hollow pin out, I assume once that is out you can pound out the joint pin but there also seems to be some thin shim material stuck in there to keep it tight. It's also very tight in this area with not a lot of space to swing a hammer. The rear attachments are a nut on one point and a ball socket thing on the other. I assume the ball just pops out of the socket with some prying? Also, does anything else need removal to maneuver the almost 4 foot long shaft out?

Thank you!
pcolette
United States of America

Gear selector shaft

Post by pcolette »

Although I've never had this part completely removed I have worked on both ends of it. On the gear shift lever end I have used SAV repair kit (SAV6596) to rebuild the pivot for smoother shifting. I did not bother to remove the slotted roll pin but to do so I imagine it would be easiest to drop the entire shift lever through the body floor in order to gain easy access to the pin.

If you have a parts book look at Group 02-30 for an exploded view. If you don't have the book you can download a diagram off the SAV website in their parts drawings. You'll need to remove the 4 bolts (#27) and then the ball retainer, etc. Compress the spring in order to remove the circlip #18. Then just slide the spring, etc. up the lever to remove. From below you'll need to remove the bracket (#14) and then the lever should drop down for you.

At the transmission end the linkage (#9) just pops off the trans. Remove the nut (#11) to slide the heim joint (#12) off the stud. The selector shaft should now be free to remove. I say "should " because I have not done this myself but I don't think it's too tough.

Hope this helps.
Where are you located?

Paul C.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Paul beat me and provided a better explanation anyway, however as I’ve already written it I’ll post anyway. :lol:

It is a bit tight quarters to work in however once you remove the roll pin (1 each p/n 9009869 drawing # 02-30-01) and you should be able to remove the larger pin with relative ease. You should have a new roll pin for reassembly may also want to replace the front bushing (1 each p/n D014810213 drawing # 02-30-02).
The press fit bushings (3 each p/n 7101245821 drawing # 02-30-05) at the rear of the shaft just need to be pried loose they will likely disintegrate in the process this is a good time to replace them anyway. To access the rear of the shaft remove the access panel in the front of the bed.
Scott at Expedition Imports should be able to provide these parts
This drawing may help http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=02-30
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.