Interior wheel boot

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Winter Beater

Interior wheel boot

Post by Winter Beater »

During the monthly pressure wash of the 712 I notice an interior rear axle boot was 'floating'. Anyone know what I'm up against when I crawl under to investigate? If this is common I'll order parts before getting under there - that way I'll only smell like gear oil once.

To be more descriptive the yellow boot slides freely upon the axle, there is a metal ring bolted to the transaxle but it appears there was a sleeve internal to the ring and they have parted ways ... either because they are separate parts - or I broke something driving on I-70... mmm?

Just finished the carb rebuild and will prep for next weekends activities through the week.

Tried to attach pic ... but it wouldn't allow 950 KB.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Interior wheel boot

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I hesitate typing this as extreme care must be used but what we do is carefully put the bump stop and retainer ring back in place. Clean all and give it a few little tack welds with a mig welder. These were originally stuck in place with yellow loctite and are prone to coming out. Care must be used as not to burn through the lite gauge metal and not burn the rubber bump stop. We have done something like 50 axles this way to date and have had no ill effects show up.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

These were originally stuck in place with yellow loctite and are prone to coming out.
I used the Green Loctite (wicking grade, high strength) on mine and it has survived for the past four or five years without any problem -- not necessarily any easier than welding, but much more forgiving if you need to have a second attempt.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

Thanks guys. I have a MIG but no green locktite ... I'll buy a bottle on the way home from work this week - and decide which fix I'm confortable with when the parts are in hand.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Green locktite or JB weld works good, just make sure everything is clean before using sealants(clean with brake cleaner spray and dry) :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."