removing a stripped drain plug

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
westernair
United States of America

removing a stripped drain plug

Post by westernair »

Today I was preping my truck for some travels I have planned, when attempting to check and top off the axles the right rear stripped out. It is one of the steel ones and not the brass ones. I went ahead and placed an order with SAV to get a new one, but am in need of a way to get the stuck one out.

I was wondering if anyone has had to do this before and what worked the best. One thought was to weld a bolt inside the striped allen head hole and then apply a wrench to it. Just curious though if I do that will the heat mess anything up in the wheel assembly?

Also I had to order a dish washer and nut for one of the exaust studs. Just curious why the nuts and washers are made this way and not just a standard flat nut and washer?
Shawn
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Twin Pinzies

Re: removing a stripped drain plug

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I'd say that 1/3rd of mine are all heli-coiled. They came that way from the military.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

So do you think they were drilled out and that is why Helicoils were used? I am hoping that I can get it out without having to do that.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

just give the existing plug a good rap with a hammer then lightly weld/tack a 3/8ths nut to the plug and it should come out with little effort.

You know all your plugs will come out much easier if you give them a little love tap before trying to remove them. Seems to break the bond between the copper/steel/aluminum. When installing the plugs they don't need to be all that tight. If you are getting leaks replace the copper crush washer. they are available from SAV and EI. On your next order add a few so you have them in stock.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Get these. Not as easy to strip. The only one not to replace is the one under the
engine that is recessed. Recessed one will not get caught on things.
I have a bunch, enough to replace all the internal hex bolts when I change the oil.

http://www.expedition-imports.com/produ ... -Head.html
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I was going to order those, but EI did not offer the exaust nut and washer I also needed. So I ordered from SAV instead. Didn't want to pay 2 shipping charges for such minimal amounts of stuff. I like to support EI first but I also like to only have to order from one company at a time.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold