Towed home woes. Gear selection troubles.

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Mac

Towed home woes. Gear selection troubles.

Post by Mac »

I was helping my friends move to a new apartment today, so i had 2 couches in the back and a tiny trailer with 2 mattresses on it. The pinz wasn't weighed down at all, so I know that can't be it. I was at a stop sign, and began to turn left, shifted into 2nd and I *think* I hit something, possibly the high\low lever, but I didn't move its position at all?.... 2nd worked fine, but when I shifted into third (really just when i pulled it out of second) I had huge power loss, and the gear selector went completely loose. If I let go of the lever, it flys to the left, not to center, but when you move it around, there is no resistance and it can move wayyy too far to the right- basically touching the center console. I can no longer find reverse, first, or second. I believe? I can find 3-4-5, but I'm not even positive, they seem to be in strange places. I managed to limp the last few blocks to unload and called a towtruck and someone else to take my trailer. Does anyone have any clue what is wrong? I feel like maybe some springs popped out somewhere? There were no grinding sounds, clunks, or noises of any kind.

Also (I know this is the wrong section-I think?), I told the towtruck guy not to hook onto this, but he really didn't seem to care what i thought. It now has a slight bend in on the lower inner section- Is this going to be an issue? Image
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Towed home woes. Gear selection troubles.

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Your shifter link has popped off of the trans. The ends of the dogbone looking link are replaceable. If the bushing is still intact you can pop it back on till your replacements arrive.
Soak the new ends in hot water to ease installation.
As for the dents in the support, no big deal.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Mac

Post by Mac »

Thank you for your quick reply! Will this be an easy fix? I don't have the stuff to jack the vehicle up or anything, and I'm really not that mechanically inclined.

If they have popped off, would I still be able to put it in any gear?
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
Mac

Post by Mac »

Also- where is a place I can look for replacement parts?
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Visit the sponsor of the site, Expedition Imports or you can try SAV
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

What Jim is talking about is this unit.
http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 101242330/

If the eyebolt portion has fallen down on the retaining bolt it will cause shift issues. Now if you have an older unmodified linkage without a gusset on the shaft at the bend it will also cause problems similar to yours. You can see the gusset in the photo, some of the older units did not have this and the bend would fail.
http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 1242302/30
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Been there done that. :roll:

In the spare parts manual look at group 2-30-5 its part number 710.1.24.284.5 “Bush” buy two one for each end of the “adjusting selector rod” assembly.

As Jim said soak the bushings in hot water to soften them to make it easier to press them into the ball joint socket and the selector rod. I used a padded vice to press them in. the fun part is reinstalling the assembly on the truck. I used wood leavers to press the bushing assembles back over the balls. Remove the transmission access cover (in the frount of the bed) to make the job easier.

As soon as you look under the cover you’ll understand what has happened. Easy fix no jacking required.

You can pop it back together till Scott gets the new bushings to you; I used some tie wraps to hold it together till the new bushings arrived in the mail. Took a little trial and error till I found the right places to put the tie wraps.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I finally opened up the cover in the bed (I had some trouble). First some of the screws were stripped, I managed to get all but one out with a screw extractor until it snapped in the last one (of course)....I ended up having to weld a screwdriver bit to the top of the screw.

Here is the issue:

Does not appear to be the one mentioned above- that seems to be on the bottom side and intact. What is this part called? I popped it back in place so i could move it around, but I'd like a real fix.
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Mac: Check out: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =13&t=5067

I had it happen too. Look at the last post. Edzz attached the drawing and part number #5, 7101245821. Both EI & SAV stock. Replace both & buy a spare. Regards, Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

No need to remove long shifter arm.

Use screw drivers or pry bar to remove the other end of dog bone I have circled in red (note what end goes to what so you won’t need to readjust the rod).

Remove old bushings (suggest one at a time so as to insure you insert the new ones in the same direction as the old) and press new ones into place in dog bone I used a bench vice to press the warm bushings into the dog bone (soak bushings in hot water just before pressing into place).

Then take the dog bone with the shiny new bushings to the truck and begin the fun of forcing the dog bone ends over the balls. I used a variety of wood sticks as leavers to force the bushings into place.

If I remember correctly I did one from the top and the other while lying under the truck.

Let me know if elaboration is needed.

Ed
Attachments
IMG_0020 (Small).JPG
IMG_0020 (Small).JPG (22.32 KiB) Viewed 6782 times
IMG_0019 (Small).JPG
IMG_0019 (Small).JPG (35.63 KiB) Viewed 6782 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

A big set of channel lock pliers or a big C clamp will re attach the rod ends in seconds :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Mac

Post by Mac »

Thank you all so much! The problem is now fixed. The second bushing was also about worn out as well, so I'm glad i got more than 1! I was able to wiggle them both off by and, and pull the bushings out with pliers. Even soaked in hot water, boy were those hard to get into the dog-bone thing. I had to use a vice, a bolt, and adjustable pliers....but once they were in, I was able to pop them on into my truck all from the access plate only using a 2x2.
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
legaleagle2004

Post by legaleagle2004 »

Had the same issue Tuesday this week, after buying my first Pinz Monday.

I was able to get it home without a tow by going to a nearby auto zone and asking for any bushing or grommet they had near that size. Got a PCV Valve grommet part number 42058 (absolutely unsuitable material for non emergency), jammed it in there, and actually drove it home and then next day to place where we are doing some welding. Also thought of pushing the ball through the ring, then wrapping a rubber band through the ring repeatedly to hold in place. The grommet shifted but poorly b/c the ball needs to be aligned with the center of the rod (center of the ring where the stock bushing places it).

Also had to adjust the transmission linkage to overcome problems shifting into reverse that may have hastened failure of the original bushing. When doing that, the "angle" plate (reverse blocking plate) at front where gearshift exits body was moved over where it contacted the stop pin. Moved this to the right to ease the issues shifting into reverse. Then shortened the linkage rod (dogbone) per user manual to adjust the gap between plate and pin.
710K 1972