Wheel bearing wear

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
totaljoint

Wheel bearing wear

Post by totaljoint »

I'm in the process of taking off the front hubs to have the bearings replaced. The wheels were put on by the paint shop one month ago after powder coating them.

The lug nuts were tighter than all get out. Lug nut wrench, torque wrench and even 22" breaker bar of no use. I've had to use an air impact wrench, liquid wrench and PB Blaster spray on the lugs to get them off. No damage/corrosion to the threads.

Is it possible that over tightening of the wheels could contribute to bearing wear since I had no problems prior to the painting, or is it more likely that 35 years and 50-60,000 miles have worn them out? And if one front wheel bearing is now gone, am I likely to have to replace them all soon? Are the front ones more likely to go bad due to multi-directional stresses? (I feel like Gilda Radner's Rosanne Rosanadana asking all this! :lol: )
Thanks,
Ed
M Wehrman
United States of America

Re: Wheel bearing wear

Post by M Wehrman »

An overtightening issue should not effect the bearings, Worst case,distortion of wheel and/or hub flange,and overstreched studs. An over stretched-tightened bolt is already half broken in my book. Just decided to throw you my .02 worth,as no one else chimed in! :)
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Thanks, Mark!
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

Over tightening of the lugs has no effect on wheel bearings...sounds like the paint "Jerkys" were abit overzealous. It does seem that front wheel bearings do seem to go bad or at least loosen up sooner than rears on any vehicle...not just Pinzys. Just cause one is bad doesn't mean the others are...but I would at least check them.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Thanks, Roverchef!